How much charcoal?

walley_eye

Reaction score
Rookie question.

Gonna smoke pork ribs tomorrow and am wondering how much charcoal to use. Will be using Royal Oak Ridge Charcoal.

I've read they should smoke for 3 to 4 hours at 225 to 250F.

I'm using a modded Master Forge charcoal smoker and the intent is to use the minion method.

In the past I have filled the charcoal pan with charcoal with coffee can in the middle and dumped charcoal chimney worth in the can and pulled it out using lump coal but could keep temps up but that had more to do with airflow.

Appreciate any ideas.

Rookie question.

Gonna smoke pork ribs tomorrow and am wondering how much charcoal to use. Will be using Royal Oak Ridge Charcoal.

I've read they should smoke for 3 to 4 hours at 225 to 250F.

I'm using a modded Master Forge charcoal smoker and the intent is to use the minion method.

In the past I have filled the charcoal pan with charcoal with coffee can in the middle and dumped charcoal chimney worth in the can and pulled it out using lump coal but could keep temps up but that had more to do with airflow.

Appreciate any ideas.

Not familiar with your smoker but I would lite the coal the same way you described with lump. I think you will be cooking more like 5-5 1/2 hours at the temps you mentioned though. As far as how much coal you need I would think if you filled the charcoal pan and lite like you mentioned above you'd have plenty and probably more than you need

As much as you can pack in. At those temps you are in for a 6 hr cook.... unless your a rib boiler:shock::tsk:

Fill that baby up! If you are going with the Minion method, you should be fine. Any extra charcoal will be good to save for your next cook. Good luck!

Back