THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I just purchased a brisket at the local HEB for $1.97. They were 3.48 day before. The Cry-o-vac was stamped USDA Select. There werre stamps all over packaging claiming ANGUS BEEF. I knew there had been changes in grading but I thought all Angus was choice or better. The brisket looks great, very fresh and pliable no brown on fat, thick flat, 14 # and change for $28.00.

Should I grind it into hamburger or try to smoke it?

Select is still the grade of the meat, regardless of breed of the cow. That being said, A select brisket still cooks up every bit as good as a choice. BBQ is based on taking a poor cut of meat and transforming it into deliciousness through smoke and spice. I say smoke that sucker!

Oh definitely smoke it. Angus beef is just a breed of cow. Certified Angus Beef is a branding for only specific choice or better angus meat. So you have meat from the Angus cattle but not Angus that meets the extra requirements to be Certified Angus Beef.

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/

USDA Quality grades are based on two things - age of the carcass and degree of marbling in the ribeye muscle. Breed of cattle is not a factor in USDA grades.

Smoke it, a Select grade brisket can and usually does cook up great. As the others have stated, Certified Angus Beef is a marketing term that required all carcasses be Choice or better. And even then, each brisket may, or may not, reflect that grade.

Angus simply means it is from a black animal.

100% grass fed is another popular marketing item used to sell meat that has not been fattened up on corn at a higher price.

Back