What did I get myself into?

h2oTom

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
My son's wrestling team is hurting for funds right now and the coach approached me to do a BBQ fundraiser dinner. I told him that I'd be game. The next thing I know he's printed off tickets, without going over details with me, and has the kids selling them. The dinner is this Sunday!

The coach decided to offer leg quarters, pulled pork sandwiches, a drink, and your choice of 2 of 3 sides. :frusty: I like that he's done all of this without asking me first!

So far he's sold 200 dinner tickets and it looks like it's a 50/50 split on the meats. No idea what people are going to want for the sides as I've never had to figure that.

I did call Cheney Brothers for prices on the stuff and this is what I've got:
40lb case of perdue leg quarters $19.20
Case of 8 7lb bone in butts $65.52
2x 5lb Resers Homestyle potato salad $16.47
2x 7lb Resers Coleslaw $23.69
2x #10 can Bush's Original Baked Beans $12.90

Can someone please help me figure out my portions and stuff? I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks in advance!
Tom

More info is needed. Is it buffet or served? Will the quarters be parted or cooked and shredded? Will the the pork be pulled and served on buns? Portions on sides usually are 4 ounces but with 3 choices that's a lot. You show cost of product but don't mention price of tickets. Lots of unknowns

More info is needed. Is it buffet or served?
Going to be served.

Will the quarters be parted or cooked and shredded? Will the the pork be pulled and served on buns?
Leg quarters are going to be severed whole, not parted. Pork will be pulled and served as a sandwich on buns.

Portions on sides usually are 4 ounces but with 3 choices that's a lot.
There will be 3 sides but they only get to pick 2. This is the most frustrating part for me.

You show cost of product but don't mention price of tickets. Lots of unknowns
They priced the tickets at $10 each. This was based on my original idea of doing JUST pulled pork sandwiches, chips, and a drink, as my cost in that would only be about $1.80 a serving.

How much capacity do you have in your smokers or grills?

Do you have any Cambro's?

Those cooked butts will hold in a cambro for several hours, long enough for you to cook 2 rounds of chicken.

Case of leg quarters where I buy vary in size quite a bit, which is ok, and has around 6 quarters a case. The meat cost for chicken is great. And some suppliers will pre-season them if you want.

Have served leg quarters many times. My notes say a case (40 Lbs) comes in at 50 - 54 pieces and feeds around 37 guests so (3) cases minimum for 100. 1/3rd Lbs. pork per guest = 33 Lbs. cooked = 66 Lbs. raw so I'd say a minimum of (10) 7 Lbs. pork butts. Sides are a bit of a mystery for me so I'd go with 4 oz per person (50 Lbs) per side to be served (and I would control that myself by serving with 4 oz. serving spoons. Some may do a double same side (2 beans example) so I'd add another 10 Lbs. each side with a total of 60 Lbs. per side...
Pork - (10) Lbs Butts. $82
Chicken - (3) Cases. $58
Potato Salad.l - 60 Lbs. $99
Cole Slaw - 60 Lbs. $95
Beans. - 60 Lbs. $39
Total food. - $373 = about $2 per person + buns if used.
Add charcoal, wood, marinades, seasoning, etc...
Am I close?
Good Luck!!!!

Have served leg quarters many times. My notes say a case (40 Lbs) comes in at 50 - 54 pieces and feeds around 37 guests so (3) cases minimum for 100. 1/3rd Lbs. pork per guest = 33 Lbs. cooked = 66 Lbs. raw so I'd say a minimum of (10) 7 Lbs. pork butts. Sides are a bit of a mystery for me so I'd go with 4 oz per person (50 Lbs) per side to be served (and I would control that myself by serving with 4 oz. serving spoons. Some may do a double same side (2 beans example) so I'd add another 10 Lbs. each side with a total of 60 Lbs. per side...
Pork - (10) Lbs Butts. $82
Chicken - (3) Cases. $58
Potato Salad.l - 60 Lbs. $99
Cole Slaw - 60 Lbs. $95
Beans. - 60 Lbs. $39
Total food. - $373 = about $2 per person + buns if used.
Add charcoal, wood, marinades, seasoning, etc...
Am I close?
Good Luck!!!!

Keep in mind you are mixing 2 different types of measurements with the sides. The pricing given from the vendor is for packages measured by weight, but you are talking about serving them using volume, the 4 oz serving spoons. So 960 fluid ounces by volume may be very different than 960 ounces by weight.

So what you need to do is take that 4oz scoop, use it to scoop out a portion, weigh it, then use that number to figure out how much to order per side.

Keep in mind you are mixing 2 different types of measurements with the sides. The pricing given from the vendor is for packages measured by weight, but you are talking about serving them using volume, the 4 oz serving spoons. So 960 fluid ounces by volume may be very different than 960 ounces by weight.

So what you need to do is take that 4oz scoop, use it to scoop out a portion, weigh it, then use that number to figure out how much to order per side.

Joe,
Thank you!!! I didn't connect that dot. Good catch!!!

Back