Reverse Seared Prime Rib on the Summit Charcoal Grill (upside down GrillGrates)

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm very happy with how this Prime Rib turned out. My wife said it was the best one I've done...In fairness, I was running late messing with the camera so she was REALLY hungry when I got done, but I'll take it. lol I also think the "money shots" towards the end turned out pretty.

Unfortunately my wife failed to read my mind when I never asked her to pick up horseradish sauce. So really it's all her fault. lol #manlogic

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTTD2LGWR0"]Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Smoked Prime Rib | How to reverse sear BBQ standing roast grillgrates - YouTube[/ame]

That sure looks tasty!

I grill my asperagus over a hotter flame for a short period (sans bacon) with olive oil salt and maybe a little pepper. I tried the bacon wrapped bundles like you did and felt that by time the bacon was cooked enough for my tastes, the spears were overcooked. I even tried pre-cooking the bacon a bit without success. Your video has suggested another better approach. Since the part under the bacon came out, simply USE MORE BACON and protect the entire spear. Who doesn't like more bacon?

That sure looks tasty!

I grill my asperagus over a hotter flame for a short period (sans bacon) with olive oil salt and maybe a little pepper. I tried the bacon wrapped bundles like you did and felt that by time the bacon was cooked enough for my tastes, the spears were overcooked. I even tried pre-cooking the bacon a bit without success. Your video has suggested another better approach. Since the part under the bacon came out, simply USE MORE BACON and protect the entire spear. Who doesn't like more bacon?

I tried to do the single piece of bacon with about 7 spears and had the same results. Asp. was crunchy by the time the bacon had cooked. Wife was not impressed with me.

Another great video! I usually make either prime rib roast or tenderloin roast for Christmas dinner, and this year it will for sure be on the WSCG.

To solve the asparagus problem, might I suggest prosciutto wrapped instead of bacon? Since it is already cooked you avoid the risk of overcoming the asparagus. I also like to sprinkle a little parmigian cheese on the asparagus before cooking.

Prosciutto is a good idea. Thinner so it won't make the spears cook unevenly. It does not need to be cooked so no waiting for it to be done, but it is technically "raw" unless you count curing as a form of cooking.

What a fun cook...nicely done. And as always...great video. Definitely becoming one of my YouTube favorites :)

That sure looks tasty!

LOL. Yeah, I've done this before and I used thinner bacon and stretched it out even further. To best honest, I almost lose the whole prime rib at one point so looking a little asparagus doesn't bother me a whole lot. lol.

Another great video! I usually make either prime rib roast or tenderloin roast for Christmas dinner, and this year it will for sure be on the WSCG.

To solve the asparagus problem, might I suggest prosciutto wrapped instead of bacon? Since it is already cooked you avoid the risk of overcoming the asparagus. I also like to sprinkle a little parmigian cheese on the asparagus before cooking.

Prosciutto is a great idea. Thanks!

This is the first time I've ever had the feeling of drool when you cut that prime rib. Great video. And you should get a commission. I'm going to purchase grill grates just because that sizzle sounded so awesome.

This is the first time I've ever had the feeling of drool when you cut that prime rib. Great video. And you should get a commission. I'm going to purchase grill grates just because that sizzle sounded so awesome.

It took me a while to get on board with these but I love them now. Every time I use them I wonder why I don't use them more.

That is how I feel about the cast iron grates. I'm surprised I'd never seen them before. I am on a bunch of websites about Kettles and have done some things already.

Back