Cooking a picnic shoulder

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a 13 lb. bone in picnic yesterday because it was on sale for $.99 / lb. I know you cook it (time and temp) like you would any shoulder cut, whether butt /picnic / whole shoulder.

My question is the skin (which has only been trimmed off part of the meat) -- since I've never done a picnic or a whole hog with skin I'm thinking of trying to get some crispy cracklin' when I cook this up. Any suggestions on how to cook it with the skin, or would you just trim the skin and fat?

I would trim the skin because then all the tasty bark you worked hard on would be gone when you remove the skin to pull it.

trim and make cracklins separately.

Makes sense - I thought it was either trim so you get good bark (but give up on crispy skin) or do cracklins but end up with less bark. Hadn't realized the cracklins were/could be made with the skin already trimmed off the meat (I don't think I've ever had them). Thanks!

I'm sure there are posts on here if I search that talk about how to do good cracklins, so I'll search - but if anyone has any specific guidance they want to share, I'd love to hear it!

EDIT: After reading a bit, I realize that cracklins are fried in lard (as you can see, I'm pretty ignorant about these). Probably tough to do that with the skin still attached to the picnic cut, so it looks like its time to trim and then fry up the skin!

I separate the skin from the meat with as much fat as possible while still leaving enough to render on the meat. I pull it back like a sleeve inside out to the top. I leave the portion of the thinning leg still skinned. Imagine pulling a sweatshirt off inside out and stopping when just the elastic band at the wrist is still right side out. This way you cook the picnic and the skin at the same time. The fat you leave in slowly melts and causes the dehydrating skin to fill its voids with rendered fat. The other good part of this technique is to turn the picnic. As a butt cooker I don't turn but the picnic is a different set of muscles and its fat distribution different. When you finish the butt strip the skin split it and lay it flat on a grill. It will bubble and pop like crackle.

Edit: You want to keep the skin from laying together. The smoke and heat needs to get to the skin surface. Sometimes I would use a skewer.

Cooked my first 15 lb. picnic on the Vision Kamado, 230 degrees. Took 15 hours to get to 190. Never got probe tender. I had to pull it so I could sleep at 2 am. Ruthless 6 hour stall, it actually lost 6 degrees! I never foiled it. Start early and good luck.

Cooked my first 15 lb. picnic on the Vision Kamado, 230 degrees. Took 15 hours to get to 190. Never got probe tender. I had to pull it so I could sleep at 2 am. Ruthless 6 hour stall, it actually lost 6 degrees! I never foiled it. Start early and good luck.

The problem with temps that low is that if your actual temp is off even 15* of what you think your warming it to death.

I cooked a 8lb (trimmed weight) at 270 and it was DONE in 8 hours.

Then I let it rest a long time. It was great... might do another this weekend.

I pulled the skin off completely and make the 'cracklins" separate.

:laugh::laugh:I did a 13 lb Picnic 2 weeks ago put it on at 8 am and it was resting in the oven by 2Pm, and in a PP samich by 5. Turn up the heat! Cracklins is easy Skin out the shoulder (Hone your Skills Deer season is commin soon) I use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut it into 1X1.5" pieces put them into a DO NO LID and add a cup of water to it set temp on Med- med low and let 'em cook By the time the water is gone there will be enough rendered lard to finish the job as they make their on lard as then cook. go slow as you don't want to scorch the fat. Once the Cracklins are done Bottle the lard and use in for a Pie dough or some Biscuits.

Back