Upgrades for a better cook

riverlife110

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask the folks that have experienced this before I go down the road of buying a ton of equipment just to upgrade again in the future. I have been wanting to do more low and slow cooks. Right now all I have is a weber performer. I know they can be fuel hogs and keeping the temp steady can be a chore when it comes to low and slow.

First thing I need is a good pit/meat temperature monitor. So I was about to buy the igrill2 from idevices. Then I started to look at the BBQ Gurus since they will help with pit temp control. But, I started wondering if the guru was necessary, and if I should just skip guru and just buy a nice ceramic cooker. I've seen where a lot guys buy lots of accessories and then in the long term they've ended up just getting a nicer cooker and I'm just wondering should buy the accessories to make my weber perform better or should spend my money elsewhere?

My suggestion would be to check out a Weber bullet, either a 18" or 22" depending on how much you normally cook.

Do the snake method on the Weber and use the money savings on meat and beer...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI"]The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube[/ame]

This is exactly what I did, I bought the Akorn because I didn't want to sink $1000 into a hobby I wasn't even sure I'd stick with. I enjoyed it very much and was mostly content with the Akorn until a tragic accident happened (caused by my wife, so she gave me a green light to get whatever I wanted) and ended up with a Kamado Joe which I've been very happy with.

I don't know much about making a performer better, but if have even the slightest inkling that a ceramic cooker might not be worth it, I'd highly recommend the Akorn as a cheap test bed.

Score yourself a Thermoworks TW8060, and a Thermapen, if you don't have one already.

Guru's are great, Thermapens are great, Ceramic cookers are great...

Here is the thing, what do you want to cook? How much do you want to cook? How do you want to cook? As Peeps noted, and I second based upon thousands of cooks, a Weber kettle can cook meat, low and slow, very easily, and with a snake method, it's all you need for a one or two person show. But, if you want to cook for more, or want a different experience, there are so many options.

My preference is my UDS, simple, loads of capacity, cheap and efficient enough. Ceramic cookers are far more efficient, but, have a lot less capacity. With either, a Guru or other pit temperature controller is nice if you don't want to mind the heat. But, certainly not necessary.

Weber Kettle a fuel hog?!? Horse turds!! With a proper fire lay they are pretty dang efficient. You don't need no ATC either. If you want to spend the money on a toy like a Maverick go for it but it is a Toy. I much prefer a 5.00 oven thermo from the Grocery store.

With the Ring of Fire you can easily get a constant temp from 200 to 350 up to 16 hrs with no fuss other than to rotate the lid 90 deg every 4 hrs so the exhaust vent is opposite the burn. Don't fight with the pit to get a certain temp take what it gives you hotter just means less cooking time cooler means a little more time for Beer and less honey do's.

Score yourself a Thermoworks TW8060, and a Thermapen, if you don't have one already.

I've already got a RT600 thermoworks, which has helped loads on all of my cooks.

I'm not real hot and heavy into it the low and slow yet so I think I'll give the kettle another go and purchase a few more accessories that'll help me monitor my grill temp a little better before I go all in on another cooker. Besides the wife would probably be more for a few nice accessories over a second cooker right now anyway.

Thanks again all!

Back