MAKin' a butt tonight and a bone wiggle question

alecksjaycubs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm bringing the boys at the shop some lunch tomorrow. I've got a 9 pound butt rubbed with some Pork Barrel BBQ. Interested to see how how it turns out because it doesn't seem to have any sugar it. The MAK is set for Smoke (170*) to try to maximize the flavor then I'll crank her up to 250 or so. I'm counting on the fact that meat will take smoke up to 140* on the surface so I've got the infrared thermometer out to check the surface temp as I go along. It started out at 29*. We'll see how long it takes and if it ends up being too much smoke.

A question on wiggling the bone to check for doneness... In the past I've had butts fall apart on one side of the bone but the other side seems to still be attached. Should I wait for full bone wigglage?

I remove the butt when the bone pulls free, any part that falls off when I wiggle the bone get's removed. But, butt, if the bone is still attached to some of the pork, that part needs to keep cooking.

I will wiggle the blade bone, but not pull it all of the way out. If it is free from the meat on all sides, I can tell, but I leave the bone in place for the rest. Then I will slide the bone out fully as I pull the meat after the rest.

Surface temp! It's going up pretty slow at this cooker temp so I'm about to set it at 250 and go to bed.

Yeah, go for completely loose....this is on from Sat.. nite & at this point it's still stickin' down in the middle, just a little....30 more minutes it went......

Pork7-27-2014085.jpg

I pull them at 195 IT cuz I prefer Chopped vs Pulled - texture thing. :heh:

The surface temp measure is just to see how long it will take smoke. One of the things I try to do with the pellet grill is get as much smoke as I can early cuz it does make a lighter smoke profile than other types of smokers. I was attempting to see how long it took before the outside got to 140 which I've read is the point at which smoke just won't stick any more. But bed time won.

Back