timing ? on brisket and butts

smokin jeff

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Have a question. doing our second comp back yard this weekend still but have 16 lb. brisket and 9 lb. butt on wsm. what time would you start cooking for a 1:00 pork turn in and 2:00 brisket turn in. Plan on cooking between 250 and 275. New to all this and woul appreciate any feed back.

put it on at 10 pm wrap at 6 am done in the cooler to hold at 9 am

+1 above, I put 'em on at 9pm, take off from 6am to 7am, hold until 9am...

16 lb. brisket and 9 lb. butt on wsm.
Plan on cooking between 250 and 275

I usually cook both around 225. My brisket goes on at midnight and usually comes off at 8 or 9am for a 1:30pm turn in. The pork also goes on at midnight and is usually done around 9 to 10am for a 1pm turn in. Based on the temp you cook at, I'm guessing you would be safe putting the meat on around 1am and still have plenty of time for resting the meat.

My pork goes on at 11pm and brisket at midnight. I wrap them both around 3 and take them off around 7-8 am and into the cooler. I only have one smoker and have to use it for everything so I have to manage time and let my big meats sit in a cooler a little longer than some others. I have started cooking my meats at 275 degrees.

Do you also have to cook any other meats on the same WSM. If so, set you time frame for the first meat needed to turn in and get your briskts/butt off and in a cooler/Cambro earlier. If those other meats are to be turned in after butts and brisket or you have other equipment for them disregard this post and follow the other suggestions.

So why wouldn't you want your timeline set to where everything finished 30-45 minutes before turn in time? It would be hot and fresh and be more juicy? Studies show that the longer that meat rests, the more juice is lost from that piece of meat? What do you guys think?

Wow. These times are short. My Butts take 15-17 hours. Same for brisket pretty much. I don't wrap those though. I cook at 210-230

So why wouldn't you want your timeline set to where everything finished 30-45 minutes before turn in time? It would be hot and fresh and be more juicy? Studies show that the longer that meat rests, the more juice is lost from that piece of meat? What do you guys think?

You need to give the meat time to cool and rest. If you don't let it rest once you cut it the meat will dry out very quickly.

I used an offset last year. At 275*, meat went on at 3am, wrapped at 165*, done by 9 usually.

+1^. The only difference is that we don't wrap at a temperature, we just warp after so many hours in the smoke. We're also using an off-set RF.

Back