**Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Clone Build**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have been using a Vortex Firebasket from the Hunsaker Smokers shop in my BPS and 55 & 85 Gallon BDS clones and wanted to see how well my own build would work out.

Bought the Smoke stack assembly, damper, lid handle and axle kit, got a drum and did a burnout and got down to business.

Assembly was very easy. Mark Hunsaker walked me through the build with one of his smokers via text pics so it went smoothly.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Intake is one single 1.5" hole on the bottom of the drum regulated with this slide damper.

IMG_1494.jpg

stop bolts for the damper

IMG_1496.jpg

Time for paint. Got a base coat of Rustoleum flat BBQ paint with 2 coats of Ultra semi gloss BBQ rattlecan.

IMG_1500.jpg

Applied the stainless steel vent indicator on the can. Foot operated! We used a U bolt instead of a front caster.

IMG_1527.jpg

level and ready to rock!

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1531_1.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Ready to hit the deck!

IMG_1536.jpg

I got the Vortex Firebasket and parts here:

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/all

The firebasket design is like nothing I've seen or used before. I've been a direct heat no deflector kind of drum user, but this basket design changed my mind!

IMG_0687.jpg

I've even used the firebasket in my 22" WSM and it worked flawlessly for a hot n fast cook. For more pics of my cooks with the basket in my other drums and the Hunsaker Clone, check out my FB page.

This basket will work in any drum IMO. I'm sold on it!

Thanks for looking!

Just a quick question for you. The intake is on the bottom of the drum. How does that work if the fire basket has an ash pan installed? Does the ash pan block the air from coming in?

Just a quick question for you. The intake is on the bottom of the drum. How does that work if the fire basket has an ash pan installed? Does the ash pan block the air from coming in?

I was skeptical at first when I saw the intake, but the legs that hold the ash pan are bent upwards so that it rests @ 1" above the intake hole.

Here is a video from Hunsakers Smokers: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V986b26UyeA"]Hunsaker smoker instructional video - YouTube[/ame]

I fire mine off from the top using a torch, because I'm used to doing it that way. Just like the video says, the drum is tight, and very easy to regulate temps.

**First cook on the Hunsaker Vortex Clone**

Rib Runner Mark Reed firing up the drum for the first cook at the Left Hand Smoke R&D Test Facility at the Bone Shack in Bothell, WA.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559_1.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561_1.jpg

What else? Leaping frog Yardbird!

IMG_1562.jpg

That's a great looking unit. I love how people innovate to bring new life to the process of making something as simple as a UDS.

Sooooo what you're saying is you like this set-up :wink:. What do you think makes the vortex basket so much different than a regular charcoal basket with a perforated deflector pan above it? Just comparing notes, I really enjoy Drum smokers. Hell, I just build 5 more just for co-workers who got hooked on the simplicity of good BBQ. In the process of one more for myself...my stainless steel unicorn. Ironically all parts thus far have come from the scrap yard for pennies on the dollar. Already added my intakes, but basket could easily be exchanged for a vortex basket. Let your words speak me into this :-D

View attachment 110285

Last edited:
Sooooo what you're saying is you like this set-up :wink:. What do you think makes the vortex basket so much different than a regular charcoal basket with a perforated deflector pan above it? Just comparing notes, I really enjoy Drum smokers. Hell, I just build 5 more just for co-workers who got hooked on the simplicity of good BBQ. In the process of one more for myself...my stainless steel unicorn. Ironically all parts thus far have come from the scrap yard for pennies on the dollar. Already added my intakes, but basket could easily be exchanged for a vortex basket. Let your words speak me into this :-D

View attachment 110285

I've been playing around with drums since 2007, and always cooked direct on them. I like the way they cook. I think I've seen every type of basket out there, but never anything like the Vortex Firebasket.
Happened to see a Hot n Fast Cooking Class being offered by Uncle Bub's BBQ on a UDS Facebook group and did a little digging and saw that is was Eric Burkhart doing the class. I happened to meet him at The Jack in 2008 as the KC Can Crew and they were the only team I saw cooking on drums there. They hipped me to their drum setups and I came away with a whole different mindset about using drums. They got 1st Place brisket at the Jack and also won the Open at the Royal. He's been cooking on drums before they were fashionable! and he's also a member here (Bubba). Saw that he was using the Hunsaker Smokers, so I decided to give the baskets a try in my BPS and Big Drum Smoker clones (55 & 85 gallon) Here is a linky from some of those experiments:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206594&highlight=**Vortex+Firebasket+BPS

I have even used the Vortex basket in my 22" WSM for a Hn'F cook.

We built the Clone just to see how it compared to my other drums and I will say it is a lot tighter, the temp control is like dialing in my BGE's. I still get that flavor of fats dripping on the coals that I like cooking direct.
If I could build a Vortex for less myself I would do it, and with the exception of the BPS drum kit all mine are bargain basement scrap metal dumpsterdiving builds too.

The Hunsaker Vortex will work in any drum IMO, it definitely works better than the expanded metal basket I'd been using in my 85 gallon BDS clone.

Take a look at my FB Albums of my Drum cooks using the Vortex basket and decide if its for you. I'm sold on them.

Thanks for the follow-up Brian. I too was hoping to make it down to Bubba's class, but made it down to Tim's Gateway class because of timing. Either way it was hot and fast on a drum type cooker and a lot of GREAT info came out of it. I think you may have me sold on trying one of these out. Let's be honest, I have 6 more empty unlined drums upstairs at work looking for a fun project to try. Thanks for the great feedback and always willing to share. You ever make it back to Chicago, let me know. Have had a few more people approach me about hosting competition classes, so you never know.

Thanks for the follow-up Brian. I too was hoping to make it down to Bubba's class, but made it down to Tim's Gateway class because of timing. Either way it was hot and fast on a drum type cooker and a lot of GREAT info came out of it. I think you may have me sold on trying one of these out. Let's be honest, I have 6 more empty unlined drums upstairs at work looking for a fun project to try. Thanks for the great feedback and always willing to share. You ever make it back to Chicago, let me know. Have had a few more people approach me about hosting competition classes, so you never know.

Good to hear you took the Gateway class.

Were they using the heat deflector in the cooking demos? I heard it was an option and not included with the drums.

Thanks for posting swamprb. You did a great job with this. I just ordered the parts from Mark to make my own after seeing this. One question though: what is that you have under the fire basket? Did you make a heat shield? If so, it looks like you bolted it to the bottom and cut the 1.5" hole through the shield and the bottom of the drum. Is that correct?

Thanks for posting swamprb. You did a great job with this. I just ordered the parts from Mark to make my own after seeing this. One question though: what is that you have under the fire basket? Did you make a heat shield? If so, it looks like you bolted it to the bottom and cut the 1.5" hole through the shield and the bottom of the drum. Is that correct?

No-that is just an ash pan that comes standard with the Vortex firebasket.

Post some pics of your build! Use some silicone around any nuts and bolts on the bottom of the can-you'll thank me later!

Will do. Just got an email from Mark saying he's a little backed up with orders so as soon as I get the parts I'll build and post. Thanks again swamprb

Back