Smokestack

dmullen

Reaction score
I was considering putting the smoker underneath the patio but I'm worried about the heat and the smoke from the stack hitting the wood & metal roof which is directly above it. I would not want to mess up the draft so I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and what did you do to solve it.

What's your distance between the top of the stack and the ceiling? I have had a BGE on my back porch for years and never had a problem. The ceiling and screen aren't stained, but there is a slight smoke smell in the area. It makes me happy when I walk past there.

I bought a small metal fan to keep the heat off my roof but the smoke will still stain it a little but it adds character to my smoke shack . :wink:

Last edited:
I have 18" to the wood support beams and 24" to the metal roof.

Great idea with the fan.

Looks like a great setup. I'm sure it's solid pressure treated wood, roof is metal. It should work great. Show us pic again after 20-30 smokes that's when it should really look good.

I'd suggest you try it out as is, and try a fan to push or pull out smoke. Issue might be getting sufficient draft for you chimney. If you add a chimney, it should be a minimum of 2ft above any structure within 10ft for draft...it may be too close to your house.

Re the heat, for single wall chimneys, most fire code state a minimum of 18" from all combustibles...you can reduce it by 50% to 9" by adding a non-combustible barrier with a minimum 1" gap (I.e. Metal sheet with 1" spacer)

Let us know how it works out.
Cheers
Terry

Did a cook with a fan pointed towards the stack, worked pretty good but I don't really like a fan blowing on the smoker. Seems like it will prevent it from heating up all the way. I'm going to try a small fan mounted up high and also maybe just a small piece of tin to deflect the heat & smoker before it hits the roof. Better yet I might just leave it alone!

With the distances of the stack from the wooden beams and the roof material, I "think" you are OK from a safety standpoint. However, pretty sure you are going to get discoloration on both the beams and the roof material and there is going to be a lot of smoke under the roof at times. I agree that some type of fan can help in this regard.

Just watch what is happening while you are cooking. I would think there will be significant heat buildup on the wood beams, etc after a long cook. Sorry to be a downer on this subject.

I've got no opinion if you've got enough space from stack to roof but a small fan would be good regardless. I run my primo on a covered porch (three sides open) and when there's no breeze the smoke build up on the porch can be pretty obnoxious after a few hours

If you have air flowing over the opening of the exhaust it will increase the amount of air you are drawing slightly. The same is true if the fan is pulling or pushing air relative to the exhaust. If air is being forced down the exhaust you may see temps rise a bit. As long as you keep it in mind I don't see it making enough of a difference that you can't easily adjust with either the exhaust or intake.

I know some people that pulled a lit pit, with briskets inside. They were done after a short drive. The air forced down the exhaust got it HOT.

With as much steel as you have there, a fan shouldn't make that much of a difference in most conditions especially since it's covered and should remain relatively dry.

Might be a good application for a squirrel cage fan, since all you really need is a thin layer of faster moving air up against the roof.

Back