Help smoking whole trout

Bigr314

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am going to try to smoke some trout for the first time. I have 4 whole trout about a pound each that have been gutted with heads on. My plan was to just put them on the smoker at about 200-225 for 3 to 4 hours. Any input would be great. Finally got the Boss Hogg dug out from the snowstorm! Thanks so much.

Haven't smoked trout but I did do some sac-a-lait (crappie) few years back, 225-250 for around an hour if I remember, used pecan.

I've brined and smoked them on an old Brinkman smoker years ago. Never fell apart. I removed the heads, and placed them on the grate, slit side down. I made sure the slit was spread apart.

I just smoked some tilapia for lunch. @225-235 it took 45 min for 5 fillets, and they were awesome! Lightly season, add some SPG and let it go. I used a foil lined cookie sheet.

I've done trout. Get some fresh dill and lemons. Slice the lemons and place inside the trout along with the dill. Smoke for 2 hours and check temp. Pull when they hit 160. I did mine on cedar planks. The planks really don't do anything in a smoker. They are.for.when you cook over direct fire.

For many years, we raised trout in cages over the winter in our pond. Upon harvest in the spring, we always had a big party and of course served smoked trout. Ours dressed out at about 1.5-2 pounds. We smoked slow and tried a variety of woods. The best were smoked over fruit wood (apple, pear or plum). All were seasoned with salt and pepper. We placed thin slices of lemon and a bit of dill inside some. Others had a bit of rosemary. Some were just plain. Adding herbs only made a slight difference in the final product.

Low temp (200-225 degrees) took about 2 hours.

They are great served "plain" or made into a dips or used in a variety of fancy presentations (think finger foods or salads). Also good as fish cakes. Grilled lemon halves are great for a spritz of flavor upon serving. Skin on trout are not likely to break up in the smoker if you handle them gently.

Back