Playing with new meat grinder

babrisket

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
About 3 weeks back I ordered the LEM #12 grinder off the Academy website when they had it on sale. I did a initial grind of a 3 pound chuck roast for making hamburgers and generic ground beef. The results were good.

Then I saw that a store had Chuck roast on sale for 2.99/lb so I grabbed 11 pounds to stock up for a while. I had read about different beef combinations for making burgers so I decided to try a 60% chuck/40% short rib combination. I deboned the short ribs and cut the chuck roast into long strips. I fed a short rib and chuck strip into the grinder at the same time to make sure they mixed well.

I ran the meat through the grinder using the 4.5mm plate, and only ran it through once. I worked the meat very little and used a burger press to make 1/2 pound and 1/4 pound patties that I vacuum sealed for later meals.

After I made all of those, I ground the rest of the chuck to resupply our ground beef.

Sams had some Ribeyes on sale so I vacuum packed some up to make into bulgogi on a later date.

It was a long night getting everything prepped, ground and bagged, but I should be stocked up for a while.

I fired up the Mini-Max last night and tried some of the chuck/short rib burgers. They were good, but I'm not sure I noticed a large difference in chuck/short rib combo over 100% chuck. One of the 1/4 pound burgers slipped on my flip and flew threw the grate onto the charcoal for a brief cave man sear until it was retrieved.

The grinder has been a lot of fun to use. It ground the 8 pounds of chuck faster than I could feed it dropping the strips in. I hope to try my hand at making some sausages in the near future. I've been searching some threads on here that have been very helpful.

If you have any suggestions/experience on how to make the burgers better via technique or meat combos, please feel free to share. For now the higher quality ground beef is a huge improvement over store bought. It looks like shopping the sales and stocking up will be key to beating the price of store bought ground beef.

I hope to try my hand at making some sausages in the near future. I've been searching some threads on here that have been very helpful.

It's very easy, even a Caveman could it! try butcher-packer.com
for pork casings. Make some Italian sausages or Country Sausage first.
I've made Boudin, and alot of Venison recipes. Never made good Bratwurst at all - yet.

LEM is a good brand.
Does your come w/ a stuffer?
Otherwise, you're gonna need a sausage stuffer.
I got one with METAL GEARS
for $70 at Dick's. You need metal gears.
Sausagemaker.com is a good resource.

Awesome!! Glad you got in on the Academy deal and it was a real good deal. Needless to say you're going to move it.

I like a mix of Chuck Top round & Sirloin.

Do you use a even 1/3 mix of each?

LEM is a good brand.
Does your come w/ a stuffer?
Otherwise, you're gonna need a sausage stuffer.
I got one with METAL GEARS
for $70 at Dick's. You need metal gears.
Sausagemaker.com is a good resource.

It came with the stuffing tube. I figure I'll try it on the first round of sausages, it will make me appreciate the sausage stuffer more. Gonna try some hotlinks and home made hot dogs are also intriguing.

If you bag and then let freeze slightly then vac seal you won't pull all the juice out of the meat.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try the next go around.

Caveman Sear? I have often used a technique I learned from Tim Love to cook flank steak on a Weber. Start briquets and let them get white hot. toss the steak on the coals and close the lid. Wait 1 minute (three sips off a cold beer) then flip and repeat to desired doneness- which should be no more than medium rare if you are a true Caveman. Don't worry about a little coal dust. If comes off during the rest.

Looks great! Might be busting mine out this weekend for some pork sausage.

How easy it to clean one of these beauties? I might be able to make some space next to the meat slicer that I hardly use!

I can take it appart and clean it in about 5 minutes. I let the parts air dry overnight and takes it about one minute to reassemble everything. I don't have room for mine either. I tend to get a look from the wife everytime she sees it...

Back