New smoker advice

chadookydo

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I got the smoking bug last year and did very well(if I say so myself) with my WSM. I want to entertain larger groups and limited with the WSM's cooking area. I like the vertical smoker so far. Can anyone tell me which would be better, direct vertical or offset vertical. Or should I consider a horizontal offset? A couple I'm considering are:
Dyna-Glo DGX780BDC-D 36" Vertical Charcoal Smoker
Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
I'm not thinking of competition or anything, so I'm not thinking of high end right now. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

This question comes up all the time on the forum. From my experience on the forum, asking the brethren what cooker to buy is like asking what car to buy on a car forum. There are so many good choices out there, but for different purposes.

Step one: Do Your homework and figure out what you need, not what you want.

I would pick one, or maybe a couple out that suit my needs, and then ask the brethren their experiences with those units. Find out the pros and cons of of those particular units.

Check out the suggestions on here, narrow your options, then run those options by the brethren. IMO, you will get more usable information.

Everyone loves their own smokers they have and they all feel their smoker is the best, mainly because it suits their needs well. People are individuals and needs change from person to person like anything else.

My suggestion to you is to figure out what you need, not what you think you want.

Start by deciding what you wish to use for fuel, do you want a stick burner that may require a lot of attention, or a well insulated charcoal cooker that can burn all night on an eight pound load of lump charcoal. Consider and calculate your fuel costs then move on to other needs.

After that you can decide size, adjustable shelving, vertical or horizontal, reverse flow, and so on....

The last thing I want to do is try to persuade you to purchase something just because I like my unit. In fact I would deter you from purchasing this unit simply because it is too large for the average backyard cook.

Here is the reasoning on how and why I chose my smoker that I recently purchased... How I chose my smoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2471312&postcount=1) Maybe some of this selection process can help you find your needs?

Also added was to the fact was that it was a $1000.00 cheaper than another unit of similar design I was considering.

If you are not sure what you want, consider building or purchasing a UDS until you get your homework done.

I wouldn't buy any Dynaglow. They are very Thin gauge. I'd build UDS before getting one. Between a WSM and a UDS you could cook for a Large group. Or get a 26" Weber Kettle - Kettles are Easy to smoke on plus it's a grill.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-enhanced-drum-smoker-kit

For running charcoal direct vertical would be better than offset.

Or order a Smokehouse from Academy if you want to burn sticks.

Meadowcreek has a nice cabinet smoker that comes in 2 sizes I have seen the larger one used for Comps- works really nice

This question comes up all the time on the forum. From my experience on the forum, asking the brethren what cooker to buy is like asking what car to buy on a car forum. There are so many good choices out there, but for different purposes.

Step one: Do Your homework and figure out what you need, not what you want.

I would pick one, or maybe a couple out that suit my needs, and then ask the brethren their experiences with those units. Find out the pros and cons of of those particular units.

Check out the suggestions on here, narrow your options, then run those options by the brethren. IMO, you will get more usable information.

Everyone loves their own smokers they have and they all feel their smoker is the best, mainly because it suits their needs well. People are individuals and needs change from person to person like anything else.

My suggestion to you is to figure out what you need, not what you think you want.

Start by deciding what you wish to use for fuel, do you want a stick burner that may require a lot of attention, or a well insulated charcoal cooker that can burn all night on an eight pound load of lump charcoal. Consider and calculate your fuel costs then move on to other needs.

After that you can decide size, adjustable shelving, vertical or horizontal, reverse flow, and so on....

The last thing I want to do is try to persuade you to purchase something just because I like my unit. In fact I would deter you from purchasing this unit simply because it is too large for the average backyard cook.

Here is the reasoning on how and why I chose my smoker that I recently purchased... How I chose my smoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2471312&postcount=1) Maybe some of this selection process can help you find your needs?

Also added was to the fact was that it was a $1000.00 cheaper than another unit of similar design I was considering.

If you are not sure what you want, consider building or purchasing a UDS until you get your homework done.

That is great advice! I also read your thread on how you decided on your cooker and was great too! I'll be upgrading at some point and think I'm going Humphrey's as well. They are priced very fair and living in New England they aren't that far from me.

I bought a new Humphreys Qube'd Battle Box last year. I had a Superior SS-1 that I absolutely loved but sold it back in the spring of 2015 as I just didn't need a smoker that big anymore. I've also had a WSM for several years and had great cooks on it also.

So far, I've cooked 3 times on the QBB this year and I love it. It took me a bit to figure out how to control the temp, but once I did, SPOT ON! On Mother's day, I smoked an 18 lb brisket, making burnt ends out of the point and my entire family said it was the best I've ever made.

Budget is most important!
If $ is limited a 22 WSM holds a lot & is so easy to use.
If you already have a 22 with a second one you can cook for an army.
My WSM is 15 years old & still going strong, the Dyna glo looks like a limited life span cooker

Back