Blackstone Griddle cleaning video

I hope mine never gets that icky... but it's nice to know how to restore it if it does. Thank for the video. :thumb:

Good stuff here. Thanks for posting.

using flax seed oil to season will flake after a while.

how about the under side? should you oil that down as well.

The one thing I wish I would have done first, when it was brand new, after the "Soap and Water Clean" is prime and paint the bottom and sides with High Heat primer and High Heat paint (1200 degree). I don't know if makes any difference but it wouldn't hurt. Most wood stoves have this done.

The seasoning on cast iron is formed by what scientists call fat polymerization. Fat polymerization is best accomplished with a drying oil. Flaxseed oil is the best drying oil known to man that is food safe.

It's better than Crisco, Pam, Veggie Oil, and even bacon fat for seasoning cast iron.

But, it's expensive. It's also very perishable. So, buy what you need and use it as soon as possible. It requires refrigeration. So, look in the natural/organic section of the supermarket. It will be refrigerated.

The seasoning on cast iron is formed by what scientists call fat polymerization. Fat polymerization is best accomplished with a drying oil. Flaxseed oil is the best drying oil known to man that is food safe.

It's better than Crisco, Pam, Veggie Oil, and even bacon fat for seasoning cast iron.

But, it's expensive. It's also very perishable. So, buy what you need and use it as soon as possible. It requires refrigeration. So, look in the natural/organic section of the supermarket. It will be refrigerated.

Good info there! :thumb:

ive read much about using flaxseed oil to season cast iron, and i chose not to go that route.

there were too many "but" or "however" articles not recommending flaxseed because it flakes off soon after seasoning. and they all made more sense.

i wonder which side is right though, but crisco etc. has worked forever why take a chance on something so expensive as flaxseed that cheap crisco, lard, canola etc. can do. plus just using the cooker gets more non stick over time.

i wouldnt bother with flaxseed oil. i consider it extremely overrated and trendy like sriracha. if you like whats popular right now then go for it.

"Trendy?" Use whatever you want. But, I have had no trouble with flaxseed oil "flaking" off.

If the seasoning with flaxseed oil is done properly, it is the best oil for the job. If you have a problem with "flaking" you might want to evaluate the process used.

"Trendy?" Use whatever you want. But, I have had no trouble with flaxseed oil "flaking" off.

If the seasoning with flaxseed oil is done properly, it is the best oil for the job. If you have a problem with "flaking" you might want to evaluate the process used.

Yep! The biggest mistake is laying it on too thick(it must be as thin as possible). The second is a surface that is not properly prepared. Flake city.

Back