My First Brisket (And on a Weber Kettle)

Looks good mate, nice first effort.
That called taking the bull by the horns

Thanks everyone for you replies. For posterity, I'm going to summarize the key points of advice here and add it to the original post, too.

1. I need bigger equipment (haven't I heard that before), and it doesn't have to be expensive.
  2. More heat. I had been worried about too much direct heat, and may have undercooked it. Worry less about direct heat and cook above 250 or 275, and keep it on until that internal temp gets closer to 200. Too little fire my also have affected the quality of the smoke and thereby the flavor of the bark.
  3. For better smoke penetration, keep the meat cold and moist before it goes on the fire.
  4. Stick with Choice (or Prime) meats for better fat content.
  5. Chicken and Pork are better training meats than brisket.
  6. Never give up, never surrender.

I swear on all that is good and holy that the 18" didn't exist when I was looking at Slow n Sears a few weeks ago. That or I stink at shopping.

I'm pretty sure that product was very recently added to the ABC product line.

Brother I commend you for even attempting a brisket on the 18". I've cranked out some edible ribs on an 18 incher, but I'm too much of a wienie to attempt a brisket.

Way to go buddy.

Nice first cook. Nobody got sick and nobody died....
Lots of great info here. I sat back and kept quiet for almost 4 years before I had enough good and bad cooks to contribute in a positive manner with confidence.

H Towner.....you're just fine setting the piece to the side like that on that small of a cooking area....on an 18" WSM (bullet) the meat is much farther up above the fire, but here, it's right dang there.....
Here's some examples of this thinking:

Ribs down the center, two small chains of charcoal burning opposite directions....

April22BeefPorkRibs010.jpg

Starting off w/ the strip of meat above a blank area or unburned coals, as the coals burn along, rotate the grate to where the ends of the piece are above the ALREADY spent charcoal / wood....that way, you're never directly above the burn...

Same general idea applies to what you did......set to the side & rotate the grate around following the burn of the chain to keep it indirect..........

Set for above (a bit more coals were added before cooking)

April22BeefPorkRibs002.jpg

Them ribs came out just fine....

April22BeefPorkRibs013.jpg

Same general idea for brisket...this is on a 22" so there's some more room to work....15-3/4# trimmed piece.....moving the grate around....following the burn....

10-8-13PTampBrisket021.jpg

10-8-13PTampBrisket022.jpg

Pretty big, so did have to add coals...

10-8-13PTampBrisket025.jpg

just fine in the end...

10-8-13PTampBrisket039.jpg

hope that helps some......the standard size kettle would give you more elbow room, so at least check around & see what ya can find....

1buckie,

That's good info! Thanks! I'm glad to see I wasn't too far out in left field. What kind of grill temperatures did you keep for those cooks?

I'm gonna keep an eye out on CL for a 22", and maybe when I feel like I've got time for a project, figure out where to find a food-grade drum. A UDS looks like a fun build (except for surface prep; I hate sanding and painting.)

1buckie,

That's good info! Thanks! I'm glad to see I wasn't too far out in left field. What kind of grill temperatures did you keep for those cooks?

I'm gonna keep an eye out on CL for a 22", and maybe when I feel like I've got time for a project, figure out where to find a food-grade drum. A UDS looks like a fun build (except for surface prep; I hate sanding and painting.)

260~275 is the standard sweet spot for a lot of those type things.....

"I'm gonna keep an eye out on CL for a 22""

This just made it to the list of potential quotes on my headstone.

Mine's: "Died of thick, heavy sauces....."

Thanks everyone for you replies. For posterity, I'm going to summarize the key points of advice here and add it to the original post, too.

1. I need bigger equipment (haven't I heard that before), and it doesn't have to be expensive.

A bigger rig is nice, but I certainly would keep your 18, provided you have space for it. The smaller cooker is nice, if for no other reason, that it burns less fuel. I got a Jumbo Joe for Christmas and used it a ton this winter. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'll be using the Performer and the 26 quite a bit, but the Joe will still see work for smaller cooks.

A bigger rig is nice, but I certainly would keep your 18, provided you have space for it. The smaller cooker is nice, if for no other reason, that it burns less fuel. I got a Jumbo Joe for Christmas and used it a ton this winter. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'll be using the Performer and the 26 quite a bit, but the Joe will still see work for smaller cooks.
Oh, it's not going anywhere. Not after I just dropped a whopping $16 on a new bottom vent/one-touch-irritating-scraping-sound-thingy.

Back