Newbie Question About Cast Iron Grates

PastorKevin

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I recently (2weeks ago) purchased a Char-griller Super Pro Model 2121 Barrel Grill. I seasoned my grates with Crisco & cooking off charcoal (300 degrees starting temp) for three hours. Grates darkened nicely. However I have two questions:
1. There are a few spots of light rust that have appeared on the grates. Can I just rub more shortening on them & burn them off, or do I need to scrub the areas with Brillo first.

2. The grates also have a oily feel to them when I grab them and I always have residue on my hands. They don't feel like my cast iron frying pan. Is that normal? Will it just take time?

Thanks for the advice

You can season over light rust as it will wipe away when you apply the Crisco. If it is heavy, just wire brush it first.

Cast Iron needs to be taken to 400 for the seasoning to become more effective. You can season them on the smoker or the oven. After they reach 400+ give them another good wipe with Crisco and let them cool on their own. The seasoning will become shiny and hard like lacquer. You may have to apply another coat after the first few cooks to strengthen the seasoning.

However if the grates are directly exposed to the charcoal they will lose the seasoning with every cook.

Back