Kingsford Lump Briquettes

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
How many people will say there's no such thing as lump briquettes? They'd probably be right. Anyway I bought some and smoked some chickens today. Overall I'm impressed with the flavor they do and don't impart. Nice smokey taste with no detectable "signature" flavor. I used Plowboys Yardbird rub and some pecan chunks with the briquettes in my drum. I won't be buying any more for awhile since I have 10 bags of Kingsford Comp in the garage.

As you can see they are obviously not lump. The splinters must be mesquite since that's what the bag says.

Loaded up with pecan chunks.

Only pic I took of the payload.

Lump briquettes.....is that one of those oxymoron things? I haven't seen them but I'd give them a try as long as I can get them without the mesquite.

Not sure WTF those briquettes are, but damn sure pecan is the best poultry wood. +1

They work for me. The mesquite part is a no-show - no problem.
Pricey. Like!

I seen it for sale a my local Price Chopper and thought WTF is this , lol .

I never tried the Kingsford's but I have tried Humphrey all natural hardwood charcoal briquettes and they were very good.

Lump briquettes.....is that one of those oxymoron things? I haven't seen them but I'd give them a try as long as I can get them without the mesquite.

I've only ever seen the mesquite.

I thought maybe it was taking the place of kcomp since my walmart clearanced out the kcomp because it was no longer in the system and this stuff showed up on the shelf??? Same price and weight.

If I had to guess I'd say that this is the same as the kingsford applewood and hickory briquettes except they are using the kingsford comp/professional blend instead of the kingsford blue.

This makes it pretty interesting to me as the applewood and hickory still had the smell of the original that I don't care for very much.

Royal Oak has something similar, but with Hickory.
Menards typically has it on sale for $5 for an 16.6 lb bag.

I like it and it has a nice smell to it.

Hickory16-002.jpg

Those briquettes look like somebody forgot to sweep the floor.

I know each has their own flavor profile, but I don't understand the aversion against the mesquite in the mix. I find that mesquite has a great flavor for anything cooked on a grill. It can be strong if it is all that is used, but mixed with other flavor profiles. I find it great with chicken if used sparingly. Used for steaks and briskets it rules on my palate. Just my 2 pence worth after reading all the negative comments above.

Bottom line is that the op's pictures of his cooks look great and has made me want to get off my lounge chair and fire up the Webber. Got a great big ole chuck roast in the freezer......

Omar

To be honest I didn't really taste the mesquite. Just a smokey flavor.

Back