Cooking everything the day before

eplain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This year I am thinking of cooking everything the day before.
I have had my 4th BBQ for many MANY years, and this year I really want to enjoy the day 100%. So this time and I want to cook ALL my meat the day before. I want to give it a shot.

Ribs, Brisket, and Shoulder.

The Brisket is key, obviously, the pork is forgiving. But I would love some tips/thoughts on how to cool them down, refrigerate, and reheat. I have no professional equipment, just a WSM and some coolers I always use for same day cooking.

Please, if anyone can offer some specific tips on this I'd be grateful.

Don't have much experience with the day before, but am planning to do the same. I am going to do my butts and bbr then vac them and put the meat in coolers overnight :idea:

If I remember correctly, The Salt Lick cooks all their briskets ahead of time.....they smoke it until it hits 165 degrees, then cool it quickly and wrap and refrigerate it, then reheat in a 225 over until it hits 140 degrees, slice and serve

I'm doing 4 butts this weekend for a work luncheon on July 1st. Thinking about vac seal them once they rested for a few hours then throw them in the fridge. Still debating on how to re-heat them. Probably throw them in rolling boiling water, how would you know if they've been in there long enough?

fan47 am thinking same thing, having my turkey cooker set up and throw the bags in the hot water for 8-10 min, that way will only throw in bags as needed.

Cook the brisket til it's done, remove from smoker and put it on counter to vent off heat (unwrap if wrapped). Once the temp drops to about 170ish, crash cool it by putting it in a bag and submerging it in a cool ice water bath. Once cooled, put it in the fridge. The next day, put wrapped brisket in a 250 degree oven for about 2 hours or so. Stick a probe in it to monitor the temp. you want to get the temp back up to 160ish. The brisket should go from feeling firm and stiff to kind of loose again. At this point, slice and serve.

I did a butt and a chuckie last Saturday to eat on Sunday. I cooked them both to about 203 and wrapped them in foil. I left them on my counter for a couple hours and then refrigerated them. Sunday I fired up the smoker with the leftover charcoal from the previous day and put them on when the temp hit 200. I left them in there until my kids arrived about 3 hours later. I took the meat out and opened the foil for about 45 minutes and then pulled them. Best chuckie I ever had and the butt was very close to perfect as well.

fan47 am thinking same thing, having my turkey cooker set up and throw the bags in the hot water for 8-10 min, that way will only throw in bags as needed.

My problem is I'll be re-heating everything at 6AM and hold them until 11ish. I'm gonna use some crock pots when setting all the food up so they can keep warm.

why not reheat closer to lunch time?

I work in an office building that's 30 minutes from home. I have to be there by 8AM. I figured I'll warm them up in boiling water, wrap them in AF then place in cooler. Once at work, place them in a crock pot on LOW setting.

My latestcbeef ribs turned out hard and chewy after cpuple hours of resting. Put leftover in the fridge.

Couple days later I warm them in a 140 oven for 6 hours and it became so tender. Cut like butter.

Thanks Folks. I find my left overs to be pretty damn good, so , i thought, why not try the day before!?.....thanks again

Back