Left side or right side brisket?

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok, so I was at HEB and I was talking to the butcher. We started talking about this 24# Choice brisket, and he ventured off to talk about a customer that comes in to get Prime briskets all the time for his comps. And then he mentions this customer only wants briskets from one side or the other. He couldn't remember which side it was at the time, but said the guy only buys left side (or right side) briskets. Something about the cow always lays down on the same side and that brisket gets compressed from the weight and that makes it tough...

Now, lo be it from me, a mere BBQ rookie, to say that's not true, but it sure sounds like an old wives tale to me. :crazy:

What say the Brethren?

You are on the right path, but have it a tad backwards.

The idea is that steer tend to lay on their left side more than their right side. When it gets up, it uses the muscles on the right side to do so, theoretically leading to tougher meat on that side of the body. So, when you ask for a left-side or left-hand brisket, you are getting the brisket from the side that the steer has(hopefully) rested on more than it has been used to help the animal stand.

All things equal, I would choose a left-hand brisket, but that is more of a tie-breaker, as marbling and bend/flex superseded which side it comes from.

The butcher I go to will cut me choice briskets right off the carcass anytime I give them a couple days heads up, so, when I call ahead, I usually ask for the left side. Buying in the store, though, I don't spend much time looking in to it.

Interesting... I have not heard that before. Not that I am ever going to ask for a lefty, but still interesting to know.

If you are looking at a refer full of briskets, how do you know left from right?

Oh, as far as having it backwards, I was just going by what the butcher said, and he said he couldn't remember which was the good side / bad side...

and now you know where a Texans favorite saying, " Id give my left nut for that" originated.

Cows are right side & left side dominate just like us 2 & 3 legged critters. Personally I only buy Briskets from left side dominate 2 yrs old heifers that feed in jetson weed in the spring but that is a hole other discussion.:roll:

I was telling someone about this the other day. We saw some cows grazing on the side of a hill and I tried to convince him that they'd been bred to have the legs on one side longer than the other so they could graze better on hills. I think the brisket theory is about the same. It may have a little bit of relevance, but IMO probably not a lot. The way the beef was raised would be my biggest priority.

I read the same story on another BBQ site, and the author said it was questionable about it being true. I started noticing some cows laying down in a field, and it seemed random to me which side they were laying down on. There was no distinct side favored.

The author stated that he had cooked "right, and left" side briskets side by side and could tell no distinct difference. I am like the above, and pick a brisket by feel and looks, not by which side of the animal it came from. Buttt.... if you are superstitious??

Blessings, and good luck picking the right/correct brisket!

Omar

Is that left side as you look eye to eye, or left side as if you was a ridin it like a horse??
Ed

Even if there were a difference between the 2 sides, which I personally don't believe, wouldn't you want the one with more connective tissue, since that is what melts down and creates the juices in a well-cooked brisket?

Back