New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp

KClandcruiser

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This dish is called barbecue shrimp, but it actually doesn't involve a grill at all. Basically the shrimp gets cooked in a seasoned butter mixture, but it sure is tasty.

I used an adaptation of Paul Prudhomme's recipe for this and made it for the National Championship Game

pHXUuKwh.jpg

wwASSiHh.jpg

Then, I may have called in sick the Tuesday after the game and had leftover rice, shrimp and a pork butt that I smoked the Saturday before, so I figured some shrimp and pork fried rice would help cure my hangover, err, sickness.

dYpztGTh.jpg

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.

2 lbs head on large/jumbo shrimp (9-12 ct)
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup shrimp stock
1/4 cup good beer
3 Tbs 3T Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp each, dried basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary
3 cloves crushed, fresh garlic
2 green onions, minced
3 Tbs Italian parsley, minced
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 lemon, sliced thin

Procedure
Melt butter in a sauce pan, add garlic and sauté i minute over med. heat. Add all dry seasonings, then stock, beer, and green onions. In a baking dish, place shrimp in one layer if possible. Pour the sauce over the shrimp, top with parsley and lemon slices. Put in a preheated425 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, turn the shrimp and place back in oven until the shrimp are fully pink, but do not overcook. Total cooking time will be 10 minutes or less depending on the size of the shrimp. Serve with good bread for dipping in the sauce, of course. Recipe can be multiplied easily.

And finally, GEAUX TIGERS

Last edited:
Excellent choice. Looks fantastic.
My First taste of Cajun BBQ shrimp was at Pascal’s Manale.
Life changing dish

Life changing dish

Thanks Adams! Barbecue shrimp and charbroiled oysters will change a man for the better!

Life changing dish

I lived 3 blocks from Pascal’s Manale when I was in NOLA. They invented the dish and it is amazing. However, I will concede that Mr. B's perfected the dish that they created.

David

Good Lord, that looks good!

That fried rice sure would do a body good, as well.

That's good stuff. First I had was in the 80's at Deanies in Bucktown.

Wow that looks amazing.

I got hooked on it last year, it is so easy and so flavorful the whole world would come together if we had a big bowl of this! I love it!
Here it is over French bed and green beans on the side -
SZrCtVLl.jpg

READY?
wJoT36al.jpg

Set, go - should be over grits or rice, I had pasta.
jN2wOvul.jpg

Looks stunning and thanks for the recipe.
Wife's birthday Monday and she loves prawns or shrimp or whatever you call them.
I hope it's as good looking as yours

Wow that's killer, thanks for the recipe.

Can somebody explain the difference between the 2 red peppers in the recipe?

1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper

I would destroy that :hungry:
Crushed red peppers are dried hot red peppers that come out of a shaker

I want to make this today. Can you use chicken stock instead of Shrimp Stock?
thanks

Absolutely. Think of Cajun BBQ Shrimp as Chili. Lots of variations, everyone has a similarly different “perfect” recipe. We use stock-butter and a regular beer such as Budweiser or Coors. I’ve tried it with darker specialty beer and it mutes the butter lemon malt shrimp taste imho. Some use a white wine, some none of the above. Some use a tablespoon of tomato paste for color- we don’t, usually. We usually cook it when Vidalia Onions are available. The only thing I recommend is cooking with shells on. If you peel shrimp first cook the shells with the peeled shrimp. Two reasons-there’s a ton of flavor from the shells. Eating pace- peeled shrimp disappear to quickly savor the act of peeling-wrapping in your favorite bread and dipping. A nice Greek salad with an anchovie on top seals it. We use bigger shrimp
Bottom line. Yes

Back