Going to Texas

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My daughter and I are headed from Georiga to Dallas Texas this weekend. Taking I-20 most of the way. We want to stop at a few BBQ joints along the way. So hit me with the your Have To Stop Places.

Er...I dunno.

I've done that drive a few times, not sure of any good BBQ joints to check out. But I'll be watching with interest too.

All the famous BBQ places in TX are a ways south of DFW...like around Austin.

Good Luck!

I make a trip through north Texas on the way to a Machine Gun Shoot in Missouri.
I set my GPS to BBQ and it sent me all over hell and back but no BBQ.
It actually sent me into a residential.

I was so ticked after an hour or so lookin around I refused to stop in Texas on the way back...

cousins bbq in fort worth, get the chopped brisket sandwich...its AMAZING...its what i grew up on..its right off i-20

cousins bbq in fort worth, get the chopped brisket sandwich...its AMAZING...its what i grew up on..its right off i-20

No no no, you mean Railhead. Cousin's has some good sides, for a BBQ joint.

Bodacious in Longview, Tx is supposed to be good. But I'd really try to get to Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

Bodacious in Longview is good. I think they have other locations but the Longview is the only good one.

In Dallas I would go in this order:

Pecan Lodge
Hutchins BBQ in McKinney
Meshack's in Garland - get the ribs, the brisket is just okay. If you go here be aware there's no place to sit and eat. Your order at a window and take it with you.

Dreamland in Birmingham Al, Big D"s in Shreveport La, Stanley's in Tyler Tx

No no no, you mean Railhead. Cousin's has some good sides, for a BBQ joint.

Bodacious in Longview, Tx is supposed to be good. But I'd really try to get to Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

not at all...cousins is much better than railhead

A good site for reviews of Texas BBQ joints is Full Custom Gospel BBQ. Click on the map on the right side of the page and zoom in. Lotsa good info.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/

I haven't been to Stanley's in Tyler but had their catered que a couple of years ago at a wedding and it was mighty tasty.

Back