Why are these rib bones blowing out???

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Smithfield ET cooked to perfect comp tenderness.....tightly foiled bones up.

I have had this issue come up MANY times and it seems totally random.

No bones (shiners) were showing at all raw.

Could be a few things.
1. The bottom layer of me brain was thin and the ribs were over cooked.
2. Too much rub on the back of the rib. Dryed it out and cause it to split.

The second one used to happen to me all the time. I put half as much rub on the back as I do the meat side and it hardly ever happens now.

As I said the tenderness was perfect comp tender......couple I could use I would fully expect a call. If I could guarantee this tenderness and usable bones I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

They also look fine entering foil I should add so it's definitely something going wrong during foil.

They were not overdone nor would I expect that much blowing out in a mere 10 min as I've had it happen so many times even on ribs a bit tight I know it's something else

I agree that on sight I would expect these to be overdone as well.

That's the aggravating part.

Are you pulling both membranes? Yes, call me crazy but there are 2. If, you are pulling both then they pop through very easily. 1st picture shows the membrane as we know it. 2nd picture is a careful separation of the two. 3rd and 4th pictures show the second membrane left on. Last picture shows the rack after the 2nd membrane is pulled. Hopefully, everything posted in order haha!

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 930
Are you pulling both membranes? Yes, call me crazy but there are 2. If, you are pulling both then they pop through very easily. 1st picture shows the membrane as we know it. 2nd picture is a careful separation of the two. 3rd and 4th pictures show the second membrane left on. Last picture shows the rack after the 2nd membrane is pulled. Hopefully, everything posted in order haha!

Yep good pictorial!

Smithfield ET cooked to perfect comp tenderness.....tightly foiled bones up.

There's your problem. Leave a vent in the top of your foil boats and you'll stop getting so many shiners.

There's your problem. Leave a vent in the top of your foil boats and you'll stop getting so many shiners.

Not sure how that would help.......I don't know anyone that doesn't foil tightly to avoid air space and the ribs steaming vs braising.

Are you saying it vents out some excessive heat which is what you think is blowing the bones out?

Thanks

I only cook 3, got a good friend and top cook that only cooks 2.

Some of us are still learning. I look at those rib bones popping out as a pop up thermometer. One of them usually ends up as a garnish in someone's Bloody Mary or I'll toss a couple in Tim's trailer (or vice versa. Flying rib bones are a real hazard around here).

Any chance that the backside of the ribs have more fat than meat? (I resemble that remark!!)

I occasionally get a rack that will have such a thick layer of fat that will either burn easily, or once it renders off the fat when it cooks, leaves the shiners...

Just a thought...:cool:

Are you putting squeeze butter or margarine on the back bones? If so, the % of water can cause blowouts. Learned that over time and with tips from bbq buddies. Now, I only use margarine which has a lower water content (and very little at that). If you look on the bottle it will say something like 60% vegetable oil or 30% vegetable oil. The lower the number the more water and the more likely for blowouts based on my experience.

I have had the same problem. I am no longer wrapping with anything on the bone side. I wrap meat side down with a full stick of margarine.

I tried the Smithfield ETs in the off season and had the same problem. Went back to my usual brand. If it ain't broke...

I was having the same issue when I switched to E.T ribs. For me, it didn't seem to matter if I wrapped face up or down, which was my first thought. I started lowering the temp when I wrapped, and accounted for the extra time in my process. The first few big bones still blow out, but the ones I want to use don't blow out nearly as bad now. You might also want to try lowering the amount of liquid in the wrap, and less time in foil.

edit. I cook on a drum at 300 or so. I'm sure the type of cooker probably makes a difference too.

Last edited:
Not sure how that would help.......I don't know anyone that doesn't foil tightly to avoid air space and the ribs steaming vs braising.

Are you saying it vents out some excessive heat which is what you think is blowing the bones out?

Thanks

That's exactly right. If the temp at the bottom of the packet exceeds 215 degrees and there is liquid in the packet, you are making steam, no matter how tightly you try to wrap. (Even if you somehow vacuum-foiled, the meat will shrink as it cooks, creating space)

Leaving a vent at the top of the packet lets the steam escape. I don't cook in foil boats any more, but when I did I had the exact same problem you are having with shiners. On the advice of another cook, I started leaving about 3 inches of the top of the packet unsealed to vent the steam. The problem was solved. I'd still see the occasional shiner, but no more of those tragic racks where half the bones pop out.

Back