A mask/respirator while using smokers.

Gulfbeachman

Knows what a fatty is.
I live with allergies but this year it's effects have peaked to a point that I temporarily needed breathing treatments every 6 hours for a week.

I bought a new smoker 6 months ago that I don't yet want to sell but has made me pause and rethink about how to minimize the effects of the smoke.

The paper masks help but don't seem to fit well and I am not sure that they are the answer. There is a 3 year old thread about the topic but wonder what others are using now.

I am considering some type of respirator in order to keep my passion for smoking meats.

Anyone that has experienced gasping for air knows that it a life changing event. Holding my breath while opening the smoker is not an option for me anymore.

Suggestions?

it would be a sad day to have to give up cooking with fire. i would give the respirator thing a try for sure.

The respirator you could use can be bought at any big box hardware store. We used them when doing mold remediation. They have a charcoal filter and are not expensive. Paper will do nothing for you. Buy the better rubber one, not the paper with a small disc in the front. You will still have some smoke intrusion but a lot will be filtered. To get all the smoke out you would need a full mask. At that point you'd have to ask if it's worth it.......

I'd drop in your neighborhood fire department station to talk to them about options. Most masks are designed to filter particles out of otherwise breathable air. Not sure if you can really, truly do anything for smoke besides O2

So true....

Many I know say the possibility of relocating a pet is one thing but got more reaction about giving up my smoker.

Fire Departments use Scott Packs with air bottles on the back pack. There are also negative and positive pressure units you can use that use a device on your belt to operate. At this point, you're looking at the price of several hundred to over a thousand $$$$ and then the bottle would have to be refilled somewhere for the Scott type. Tough situation. Best of luck to you!

A cheaper option is something similar to a "Brown's Third Lung" which is a small compressor that sends clean air to a face mask for snorklers. Just a thought.

Fire Departments use Scott Packs with air bottles on the back pack. There are also negative and positive pressure units you can use that use a device on your belt to operate. At this point, your looking at the price of several hundred $$. Tough situation. Best of luck to you!

I think the allergies and my age all came together like a perfect storm this year. It is still all doable but need to minimize certain risks.

Like most things in life, one needs to adapt an move on.

Thank you for your suggestion and to all that take time here to add their comments.

I have given up a lot of vices over the years but BBQ is the last fun thing left!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/1860-N95-RESPIRATOR-SURGICAL-MASK/dp/B000S395R8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1454949052&sr=8-7"]3M 1860 N95 RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK Box of 20: Papr Safety Respirators: Amazon.com: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OTBzezCKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51OTBzezCKL[/ame]

These are one of the kinds of masks we use in the hospital setting to guard against infectious respiratory bacteria such as tuberculosis (TB). I reckon that smoke particles, at least the ones that are likely to trigger allergies/asthma, are a fair bit bigger than the bacteria that these masks filter out.

You might try them. Good luck to you!

Another place to shop is a large body shop supply store. They will have several mask options and the clerks and other customers will probably have experience and advice. (Unlike big box stores). A particle-arresting filter plus carbon to catch the volatiles is IIRC pretty much standard for automotive paint booths and is certainly worth a try. (BBQ smoke is going to be both particles and volatiles.)

I don't think the positive pressure masks that put a fillter on your belt are going to be much better than a mask. It's still more or less the same filter, just more convenient. Positive pressure from an air bottle is a different matter completely.

You pulmonologist or respiratory therapist should be a source of advice as well.

Another place to shop is a large body shop supply store. They will have several mask options and the clerks and other customers will probably have experience and advice. (Unlike big box stores). A particle-arresting filter plus carbon to catch the volatiles is IIRC pretty much standard for automotive paint booths and is certainly worth a try. (BBQ smoke is going to be both particles and volatiles.)

I don't think the positive pressure masks that put a fillter on your belt are going to be much better than a mask. It's still more or less the same filter, just more convenient. Positive pressure from an air bottle is a different matter completely.

You pulmonologist or respiratory therapist should be a source of advice as well.

Good advice about checking into masks at a body shop. My son is a body man and using this type mask didn't occur to us until reading your post.

I am getting a referral to a respiratory therapist this week and will pose the question. (Hoping therapist is into Q and understands)

Excellent ideas...Thank you!

Just remember to take it off before going to the liquor store and the bank. :becky:

Seriously I'm glad you posted this because sometimes the smoke bothers me a little but in my case something like a bandanna will be sufficient.

The picture made me laugh!

The smoke didn't bother me much either 30+ years ago... but now some long days doing brisket I do feel some effects.

I moved my smoker to the back 40 and close the windows during a smoke out which also helps.

Thanks for commenting....

Good advice about checking into masks at a body shop. My son is a body man and using this type mask didn't occur to us until reading your post.

I am getting a referral to a respiratory therapist this week and will pose the question. (Hoping therapist is into Q and understands)

Excellent ideas...Thank you!
No problem. Glad to help.

One caution: Some posts here refer to particulate-arresting filters. These are for things like sheet rock mud sanding dust, etc. For smoke, there are also gasses that you want to stop, hence the charcoal filter elements that some of us have mentioned. The charcoal will "fill" with stuff it has stopped, and it has a shelf life once opened, but for your infrequent use you should not need to worry about buying them frequently. Your son will be able to tell you how often he has to change his cartridges in regular use.

No problem. Glad to help.

One caution: Some posts here refer to particulate-arresting filters. These are for things like sheet rock mud sanding dust, etc. For smoke, there are also gasses that you want to stop, hence the charcoal filter elements that some of us have mentioned. The charcoal will "fill" with stuff it has stopped, and it has a shelf life once opened, but for your infrequent use you should not need to worry about buying them frequently. Your son will be able to tell you how often he has to change his cartridges in regular use.

Great details...and makes me think about it on a whole new level.

Ironic isn't it that we use charcoal filters that can filter charcoal smoke????

Back