Do you wrap?

bradgreer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering about wrapping pork butt when you are catering. I have only done a few jobs and have never wrapped and have been pretty pleased with the results. My only complaint would be that the bottom of the butt (fat cap) gets hard and crusty and wrapping would prevent that.
What does everyone like to do?

Thanks,

Usually yes. Mainly just to help keep things cooking on a consistent timeline. That and the people I cook with aren't adventurous enough to not wrap.

I have never cooked butts for sale, but, I would say that if I did, thinking about this, I would pan and foil cover. For my market, the savings in consistency, time and softer bark, would serve me better than adhering to tradition.

It's important to know your market. Even the folks out here that claim to be experts on BBQ, and on NC BBQ, often seem to prefer soft, over-cooked and low smoke pork product.

Yes and no, depends on the cooker I'm using and what the meats look like and am I running behind and need to speed the process. My goal is no wrap but sometimes I just do.

Yup - foil everytime. Adding in some ingredients when I do so. I do place in a foil pan to hang on to the au jus when I foil - works VERY well for us.

For me, cooking butts for catering - no way. It leads to too much flavour loss. I assume you know the advantages of wrapping, there are some... But it's extra labour that (in my opinion) doesn't help the product in any way (again, for catering or vending... competition is another story)

If you're getting chewy bark on the bottom of your butts, it's from a lot of radiant heat coming up from the fire.... Flip your butts halfway through, that should resolve it.

Back