Fund raising !

skullleader1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
:cool:I have a question about vending at fund raisers.. How do you get started. Who do you contact...and are they profitable?

I would think that most vending at fundraisers is done with minimal profit going to the vendors. I know every time we cook for a fundraiser event, we don't make any money, we do it because we want to.

the name "Fundraiser" explains itself Funds are being raised for something, and that something is usually not a pitmaster.

We do many fundraisers throughout the year----mostly involving youth. We donate our time and our equipment. There are fundraisers that do pay caterers. My experience cooking for fundraisers is that the "Charity" charges a very highly inflated price-----wants to get the caterer with the lowest bid----and guests leaving disappointed saying "This is what I get for 75 dollars?------when the caterer was paid 10 dollars per plate.

I would not look at catering for "Fundraisers" as a money making venture. The best way to make a small fortune in BBQ, is to start out with a large fortune

I agree, when I have cooked for fundraisers, or other charity events, it is because I believe in the event. My primary goal is to not lose money, or have to donate too much more than my time.

To that end, and to make sure what Leonard describes does not happen, I like to make sure I know what the charges are, and that what the event is willing to pay for food covers the costs and makes sense.

Skullleader
If you want to cater---pick a niche----find something that suits your personality---find periodicals that portray and support that niche---find out about events months ahead of time and communicate with the event promoters. Biker Events, Rodeo Events, Reniassance Fairs, Car Shows, Food Festivals, etc, etc-----there are thousands of niche market catering or vending jobs. Once you do a good job at one event----then they will start coming to you. Want to do weddings---sign up for a Wedding Show. Think about what you would want your speciality to be and go for it

The fundraising cooks I've done is for my kids' school. I contacted the head of the PTA who put me in touch with the Halloween Carnival organizer. I told them I only needed a space and nothing else (I wanted as little involvement from others as possible). I came in, set up, sold BBQ, and gave them all the profits after recovering costs for meat, buns, beans, etc. No profit at all to me - not financial profit anyway.

If you're looking for profit, fundraising is not the way to go as I see it - the money should go to the entity that needs the funds raised. Fundraising cooks are very enjoyable and rewarding. I'm not looking to start a BBQ business (I am way too lazy for that), but I can see that it would be a great way to get exposure to the community, as I got several requests for catering, questions about having a restaurant, etc.

I started a nonprofit in 2012 with two missions: to provide free, hot meals to responders and the community in the event of a disaster, (I was a few months behind OBR, but same concept. My folks responded to Joplin and fed those in need. We are a big supporter of OBR.) and to help raise money for other 501(c)(3) organizations. I, and my volunteers, donate our time and equipment. We exchange BBQ for donations, and after recovering the cost of the raw ingredients, give most of the proceeds to the other organization.

If you are looking to make money, this probably isn't the venture. If you're looking to help others, it's very rewarding. Work with the organizer of the event. But be aware of your local health code and laws. Our first year, we had to get a Temporary Food Permit (in VA) for each event. Last year, Virginia amended the health code to exempt 501(c)(3) organizations, like they do schools, churches, and fire departments.

Back