Hot and Fast - at Elevation

Rub'n Wood BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hypothetically, lets say we typically compete around KC at an elevation of 1000'. And hypothetically, we were going to compete in Frisco at an elevation of 9,000'. How would the elevation effect hot and fast, hypothetically...

Hypothetically... at higher altitudes water and other liquids boil at lower temperatures and evaporate faster. For example, I live at 5400' and water boils at my house at 203°. This affects the moisture content of the meat and can lead to drying out. So all things equal, I plan on about 20% longer cook times and I go out of my way to keep the meat surfaces moist. In Frisco water will boil near 195° a big difference from 212°.

Frisco is in the area I judge in and a lot of the Rocky Mountain BBQ Assn members cook or judge there. It's a great venue and so popular with judges the sign-up list fills up within a day or so.

My opinion, (I cook at right around 4800 feet year round) you will need to adjust your timelines longer in the wrap. Probably plan for at least an hour longer for your brisket. Food also drys out and cools down faster at elevation so plan accordingly. Do you use temps in your timelines? If so, if you normally take your brisket to say 207, you likely won't be able to do that in Frisco. As third eye mentioned since the boiling point of water is so low, it will be tough to get your brisket temps up that high.

The guys above are on target. I think it affects brisket the most. I hold brisket and butts for a while anyway so, it has never bit me. I usually add 15 minutes or so to my rib program. Chicken - don't believe I really change anything.

Good luck. It is a sweet venue. My favorite contest around here. Sadly, I won't make it this year. Check out a place called Prosit for some German beers and good sausage.

I live at only 6080'. My cook times are way longer than what I've read that it should be, but I'm sure of my pit temperatures. Now, I generally cook at 275, or above, having learned that 250, or less, is a 22-hour brisket. Remember, this is at just over 6000'.

I recommend hotter and faster. That seems to be the way to power through the longer stall that you'll experience. I always have a water pan in my egg to keep things moist.

Back