Headaches from smoke?

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phillip
I suffer from EXTREMELY bad headaches. Sadly, the worst ones seem to come towards the tail end of a bbq contest or when I am around smoke for long periods. A good friend of mine has sinus attacks after a long day of Q'en, so I am wondering if any of you have this problem? What have you done about it if anything? I have already gone to the doc and have a CT scan scheduled for my sinuses.

Sorry to hear that. I had a bout with it too. One thing I found that helps besides limiting time around smoke was to stay hydrated. For me, it seems to have been a combination of smoke and dehydration. Staying hydrated has helped quite a bit. Good luck!

I don't suffer from the same infliction, but I would agree with the above that maybe it's a bit of the smoke and dehydration. Also, if it's happening at comps, I would say exhaustion is probably coming into play. You may be getting enough physical sleep, but comps are mentally exhausting too, so it could be a factor. Good luck with your CT scan!

I have to agree. My wife says I get wound up tighter than a clock spring towards the "crunch time" period which I am sure isn't helping.

Not sure if you are a Q and beer drinker, but I know with me, dehydration was a BIG cause of my headaches in general day to day life and not just during Q'ing.

Q'ing usually was a trigger and I thought as well that it was the smoke. However, it turns out and contrary to popular belief, beer is not a good hydration source. Glasses of water mixed in throughout the day during a cook (and in general) and now I have a LOT less headaches.

I have a sinus headache every day since I can remember, I have had 4 sinus surveys. Honestly one of my savours is Pseudoephedrine HCl Eltor brand works well, Google Eltor 120mg, it's not a perminant fix but in situations where climate makes things worse it helps big time. sinus sprays will make things a lot worse. If you can keep your nose wet with either a gel or hydrating pump

At a comp, you may be getting too many diversified types of smoke. I was a SCBA senior judge for a number of years and had to quit. Tasting 8 different pulled Q boxes and 8 different ribs was too many flavors to pack in at one time. I was chomping tums and Dr. Pepper immediately after judging and could not get over the many different tastes, sauces, rubs and also grease. This may not apply to your problem, but it's something to think about. Good luck with it. Joe

No headaches here, but I'm tired and reall don't have an appetite for Q afterward. I'm permeated with smoke. I've found if I take a quick hot shower and flush the sinus I'm feeling much better and ready to gobble Q.

i get those and they are from the smoke and long periods of exposure to it. i just take three extra strength exedrin with alot of water and that usually gets rid of it. what really gets me also is cigar smoke. if i get someone near me at a competition who smokes cigars it not only gives me a headache but throws off my taste buds.

i get those and they are from the smoke and long periods of exposure to it. i just take three extra strength exedrin with alot of water and that usually gets rid of it. what really gets me also is cigar smoke. if i get someone near me at a competition who smokes cigars it not only gives me a headache but throws off my taste buds.

Amen my friend! Last weekend I had that reaction with cigarette smoke almost instantly made me sick. I suddenly remember always having headaches as a kid whenever i was around a lot of cig. smoke too.

I get sinus and throat issues when I used to use apple for smoke. no issues using pecan or oak and such. besides staying hydrated, might wanna switch what you are using for smoke just to make sure.

Back