Discussion Thread -> "Potato" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Potato"

1488355_BBQ_Grail.jpg

This was BBQGrail's non-winning but brilliant entry in the 2010

"La Guerre de Pomme de Terre (Battle Potato) Throwdown

As chosen by FWismoker for winning the "Breaded" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING
Fwismoker said:
Oh I'd love to see a "potato" throw down and see the creativity of dune spuds!
Ummmm...what the fark is a dune spud? :confused:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/6 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/16/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/16.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Guess I better go with plan B!

As always Great entry!

I can't let the dog run around the block by himself. Please accept my TRADITIONAL baker photo below as an official entry.

No Zero-I at least know I will get Shagdog's vote, if there are no other entries...haha!

43023e4725591f7f0b4875a61a97adaf_zps2482cbeb.jpg

I did a two-throwdown cook today. Here is my entry, twice baked potatoes on the grill with home made bacon. I've never done them on the grill before, and they came out really good. With flank steak, asparagus and fresh bread, one of my favorite meals.

Cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3161747

Please use this as my official entry.
2211.jpg

Official Entry

Please accept this as my official entry in the "Potato" TD

There are already some might fine entry's for this. I present:

Swiss Scallop Taters !

Always used Cheddar in our Scalloped Potatoes but Swiss seemed much better to compliment the Scallops.

The full cook is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3166302#post3166302

We did like this and will use different cheeses in future cooks.

Please use this for the polling pic

View attachment 107601

Thanks for Lookin

SD

Last edited:
This TD is looking less fun for me getting up for a sub zero...UN godly wind chill cook.

These dishes are out of this world!

Hasselbeck Potatoes

This entry doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, but I'll throw it up there as an idea for future cooks of others. Please accept the following as my entry into the Dune Spud TD.

Garlic Parmesan Hasselbeck Potatoes.

I cut the bottom of the potatoes off so they would sit flatly, and then made slices 75% down the potatoes every 1/8th inch or so. I then drizzled them with fresh garlic butter and sprinkled the top with course salt and pepper.

IMG_3292_zpsbtowmdx3.jpg

I cooked these on my gasser (smoker was busy with the rest of the meal) at around 400*. I added some more garlic butter and sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese on the potatoes. They took about an hour. They probably could have gone 10 mins longer as they were slightly undercooked in the middle.

IMG_3300_zpsxqmihiff.jpg

Kind of a toss up between a baked potato (soft and tender inside) and french fries (crispy outer edges) with the buttery garlicky taste.

Please accept the following as my entry into the TD:

IMG_3306_zpsb7bdwdi1.jpg

It went really well with the American Kobe Ribeye and the Bacon Wrapped Scallops.

IMG_3303_zpsefa7lt6m.jpg

Here's my TD Entry "Dune Spud" Turtle Taters & Mashed Taters infused with bell peppers, jalapenos, sweet onion... served with Roast Beef & Gravy. Here's my cook thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205220

Please accept this as my official entry for the Potato Throw down.

Last edited:
Creative potato TD

Potato-Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Grilled Shrimp. Poblano pepper with fresh kernel corn, zucchini, cilantro, tomatoes, onions, and garlic potatoes. Please use the second picture as my entry.

Attachments

• 063 bbq brethern potato Td.jpg
    063 bbq brethern potato Td.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 077 bbq brethern potato TD.jpg
    077 bbq brethern potato TD.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Back