Visiting Kansas City - Where should I eat?

I'll add a recommendation that I haven't seen mentioned...Danny Edwards.

And I'll give a +1 to Woodyard and echo the sentiment on Q39. Great stuff.

We ended up going to Jack Stack because it was convenient. We got everything... burnt ends, sliced brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, lamb ribs, sausage, turkey, pulled pork. We were all pretty disappointed. The turkey was the mechanically formed stuff for cold cuts, the pork ribs were dry and tough, the beef ribs were moist but tough (undercooked), the lamb ribs were good but I've had better (also a little tough), the pulled pork was bland, sausage was decent, burnt ends were just ok, sliced brisket the same. We got the cole slaw and potato salad for sides - they were ok... the tater salad tasted like they picked it up at the local grocery store though. We got their cornbread which was good, but I kind of expects corn bread in KC to be savory and not sweet. We were disappointed enough that we didn't bother going to another bbq joint. I think we've been ruined with central TX bbq.

We did end up going to Boulevard Brewing Co, which was certainly one of the better brewery setups I've been to. KCBS was right across the street from them so I was able to get a pic of myself in front.

My brother who I compete with says that S.L.A.P.S (Squeal like a pig) BBQ in Kansas City Kansas is some of the best Q he has had. Haven't been down to try it yet but it's worth a shot.

I'm late but would've said Q39, or Joe's KC. Those are the two heavy hitters right now that consistently put out fantastic food. Honorable mention to Plowboys. I've heard a ton of good things about Slaps but haven't made it up there.

Wood Yard on Merriam near Lamar. It is THE best BBQ I've eaten in the KC area. Wonderful brisket and sausage. Chili was good too. You can even buy splits out back if you need any. Seating was pretty limited. but last visit they were converting the building next door for more dining space.

I am glad I didn't read this before hitting Jack Stack tonight. I'm not sure if we got lucky or if you got unlucky, but I honestly don't feel I've had a better "done" beef rib. I have had better crust, better flavor, but never this level of perfection when it comes to doneness. The rib was incredibly juicy and tender, and I have no clue how anyone can eat more than one, because it was so rich and buttery.

The burnt ends were okay, but it was more of what cubed point would be like in my mind. I guess I expected something different.

Jack Stack

I am glad I didn't read this before hitting Jack Stack tonight. I'm not sure if we got lucky or if you got unlucky, but I honestly don't feel I've had a better "done" beef rib. I have had better crust, better flavor, but never this level of perfection when it comes to doneness. The rib was incredibly juicy and tender, and I have no clue how anyone can eat more than one, because it was so rich and buttery.

The burnt ends were okay, but it was more of what cubed point would be like in my mind. I guess I expected something different.

Id say he got unlucky. That beef rib is my favorite meal at a restaurant.

Jack Stack

Id say he got unlucky. That beef rib is my favorite meal at a restaurant.

We ended up going to Jack Stack because it was convenient. We got everything... .

We did end up going to Boulevard Brewing Co, which was certainly one of the better brewery setups I've been to. KCBS was right across the street from them so I was able to get a pic of myself in front.

Great call on the brewery! We have several good ones in town.

Sorry to hear that about Jack stack. Which one did you go to? I've seen them be very inconsistent across the various locations.

Back