What are sport peppers?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do some Chicago style dawgs, and I have no idea what "sport peppers" are, or where to find them in the grocery store. I've assumed that they're pickled, and have been looking in the pickle isles here without success. What are they, exactly?

Thanks

And oh yeah, can't find poppy seed buns either, but I'm willing to cheat on that...

Ron_L will be here at any moment to fill you in.

But, sport peppers are a type of pickled hot pepper, they are the small, green and quite piquant. And, near as I can remember, only available in Chicago and surrounds.

Yep. They are pickled capsicum annum. You may be able to find them under the Vienna brand. I can post a picture when I get back to my computer.

Around here they're in the pickle aisle, but also check some of the ethnic aisles. Some of the brands available are:

Alpino brand Sport Peppers
Marconi brand Sport Peppers
Vienna Sport Peppers
Dell' Alpe brand
IL Primo

The last two are usually in the Italian foods aisle.

Actually sport peppers aren't really a requirement. Almost all of the hot dog joints will usually ask if you want peppers or not. Even if you say you want everything on them.

Make sure you use 100% beef hot dogs and steam your buns. And NEVER EVER put ketchup on a dog!!!!

Just saw them at my meat store the other day. The had a display shelf with all of the fixins for Chicago dogs.

It wasn't easy, but I resisted.

004FD2DD-C1E5-40F8-B832-FF3144FC9AEB_zpstnycbqgr.jpg

Around here they're in the pickle aisle, but also check some of the ethnic aisles. Some of the brands available are:

Alpino brand Sport Peppers
Marconi brand Sport Peppers
Vienna Sport Peppers
Dell' Alpe brand
IL Primo

The last two are usually in the Italian foods aisle.

Actually sport peppers aren't really a requirement. Almost all of the hot dog joints will usually ask if you want peppers or not. Even if you say you want everything on them.

Make sure you use 100% beef hot dogs and steam your buns. And NEVER EVER put ketchup on a dog!!!!

Now that's a Chicago boy. I want a couple dawgs.

Ya forgot the pickle.

'Zactly. I'll look in the ethnic isles tonite when I go shopping. Thanks for that tip. Otherwise I guess I'll hafta hit Amazon.

Seems odd I've never seen a Chicago dawg offered here in CT, not even in the summer baseball season or on the food carts at fairs and stuff. Looks to me to be a culinary delight that Yankees have been missing out on. Long live, Chicago.

I have lots of green relish (love it on burgers). Other than the neon green color is there anything special about the Vienna stuff?

Thanx

Ya forgot the pickle.

:thumb:

We came home from our recent houseboat trip with a bottle of dill relish, so I used that in place of a pickle spear. Not traditional, but what else am I going to do with dill relish? :confused:

I have lots of green relish (love it on burgers). Other than the neon green color is there anything special about the Vienna stuff?
Nope, it's basically sweet pickle relish. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could try doctoring some up yourself. Just add a drop of blue food coloring and a bit of turmeric if you have it, or a drop of yellow food coloring.

Nope, it's basically sweet pickle relish. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could try doctoring some up yourself. Just add a drop of blue food coloring and a bit of turmeric if you have it, or a drop of yellow food coloring.

I think it is sweeter than regular sweet relish, but that may vary by brand.

Or you can make another version of the Chicago dog made famous by an iconic stand called Gene & Jude's. Some still argue that it's the best hot dog in Chicago. A little further west out in my neck of the woods in Streamwood is Nana's Original. Nana was Gene's daughter. It's not owned by the family anymore, but the dogs are still the same.

Anatomy of a Chicago "Depression Dog":

82d78284-a31c-4766-b3b9-d7cd20c7736d.jpg

Or you can make another version of the Chicago dog made famous by an iconic stand called Gene & Jude's. Some still argue that it's the best hot dog in Chicago. A little further west out in my neck of the woods in Streamwood is Nana's Original. Nana was Gene's daughter. It's not owned by the family anymore, but the dogs are still the same.

Anatomy of a Chicago "Depression Dog":

82d78284-a31c-4766-b3b9-d7cd20c7736d.jpg

Gene and Jude's is just plain wrong. :crazy: :becky:

My wife grew up eating Nana's. We make the pilgrimage at least once a year. It's not my style, but still a fine dog.

For all the hype Hot Dougs got from the foodies, he still sold a proper Chicago hot dog for $1.75.

i found some

in the Hispanic food section but no where else in a store. They were La Preferida brand. Not sure why they are hard to find as pickles being that they are pickled peppers?

Back