First cook on Stump Baby

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Last night was the first time cooking on the stump. The ribs had a lot of smoke. There was so much smoke the ribs were completly red through the whole rib, no gray. I cooked 3-2-1. Does anyone have any tips on reducing the amount of smoke on this cooker. I added 5 pieces of Apple through out the cook.

Sounds like stale air flow. Too much smoke in the cooking chamber because it stalls. Try opening up the chimney damper a bit more to get the air flowing faster.

Are you sure that the ribs color was from too much smoke? If you used enhanced ribs they will be pink throughout because the solution that is used to enhance them will cure the meat during the cook.

How did they taste? I wouldn't worry about color as much as flavor and tenderness. If they were bitter it would mean the smoke wasn't thin blue during the cook. Were they baby backs or spares?

Too much smoke on a Stumps? Never had that problem. I cant get enough smoke no matter how much wood I use. What color was the smoke coming from the exhaust? Are you using a guru or some other mechanical temp controller?

The taste was fine.

I cooked spare ribs from Kroger. I don't think they had any type of solution added. I did forget to rinse the ribs after I took them out of the package not sure if that would do anything?

I used Stubbs natural briquettes. Chucks of apple. I added 4 at the beginning and 1 towards the end of the cook. The last one I added I soaked in water for about 30mins before putting in.

I was using a guru to control the temp.

Most of the time there was no smoke and when there was smoke it seemed liked a small amount.

I never rinse my meat, I think it just spreads stuff all over my kitchen.
I bet the ribs were enhanced, you said there was next to no smoke coming from the cooker so that was running clean

Thanks for the link Tommy. After reading the link you guys were right that the ribs I bought were in a solution. Why does this make the ribs look red throughout?

See my post above. The salt in the solution cures the ribs during the long cook.

Thanks for the link Tommy. After reading the link you guys were right that the ribs I bought were in a solution. Why does this make the ribs look red throughout?

"Enhancement" solutions are usually a water brine. So it is salt and nitrates/nitrites dissolved in water and injected with a "comb" of injector needles at the factory. This adds weight (you pay by the weight so they are "enhancing" their profits), moisture, and salt. The nitrates/nitrites add shelf life (preservative) and create the "ham-y bacon-y" flavors. Nitrates/nitrites also make the meat pink throughout during your cook. It is just a chemical reaction. This is why your bacon stays red or pink and doesn't turn grey/white like a pork chop. Also why your ham is pink throughout even though it is fully cooked. There is nothing wrong with "enhanced" pork products, its just a matter of taste. You will also get a pink smoke ring on unenhanced ribs from the chemical reaction between the smoke and meat on the outside of your ribs, but it will not be pink throughout, the middle will be grey/white (normal cooked pork color).

Back