Even better than making my own Q

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently got a Kamado Joe grill and after hearing me talk about BBQ for years and eating together at various Q spots, he finally called me yesterday wanting a crash course on how to smoke a pork butt. I gave him the quick and dirty on what I do.

After prepping the meat last night, he started calling me at 8:30 this morning and we talked 4-5 times throughout the day as he went about his cook. He sent me picks of the blade bone coming out clean and pretty decent smoke ring for a first time cook.

As much fun as I have smoking meat, it's even more enjoyable to spread the word and watch it click with a newbie. During our last conversation tonight, he said it wasn't perfect, but he has something to work for on his next cook. I remember saying the same thing about 10 years ago.

Awesome, it's rewarding to help others in their journey, and it creates a bond of friendship.

I have get togethers about once a month at my place to get more people interested and involved. Props to you for helping a future brethren out :)

Now this thread is useless without pics! I know he sent you some.

That's how the madness spreads. My uncles came over and showed me a few things. Now I'm cooking more than they do.

Becoming an enabler of our addiction is a good feeling.

You can give a man some BBQ and you feed him good Q for the day. Teach a man to BBQ, and you feed him good Q for a lifetime.

We have a Filipino friend of the family that loves my BBQ and asked me to teach him. Walked him through the steps of doing a brisket and he made one for a family reunion. Everyone there "loved" his BBQ. And we did the same several phone calls and texting pictures back and forth during the day. Felt great helping him out.

Back