2014 winter andouille done

toddrod

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just finished up a 54 lb batch of andouille smoked over pecan wood. This should last at least until Jan or Feb. It may sound like alot but when you make gumbo every weekend and also use it for poboys, cheese / cracker trays for the holidays, jamabalaya and white beans, it goes pretty fast.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ What jaestar and Smokin69th said. I can't get any decent andouille in New York and it's time to start making gumbo.

I enjoyed the video - thanks! Love home made andouille!

Good video! I have never made andouille but might give it a try. I bet you can do up some pretty big batches of jerky in that old fridge! Right on man ! :thumb:

Just gonna put the video link here:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBkNLBRPdog&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZ_wL0egVuapQKWUqR3FnUQ"]Traditional Andouille sausage #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Man oh man... I need a meat grinder.
We can get ok Andouille here from Aidells but you have to be looking for it.

How do you store it for long periods?
Vac pack and freeze?

I vac pack it most of the time in 1lb packs. If I am out of vac bags then I wrap 12 inch pieces with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. Either way works good.

Good video! I have never made andouille but might give it a try. I bet you can do up some pretty big batches of jerky in that old fridge! Right on man ! :thumb:

For jerky I have 8 pieces of 3/4 expanded aluminum metal shelves that fit it there. I have done a 40 lb batch of snack sticks before with room to spare.

Thanks for the thread. You inspired me to make 20 Lbs this weekend. Tastes great!!!

Some guys from "Back-Vacherie"/Chackbay bring some type of giant andouille to work sometimes. Any idea what it's called? I think it is traditionally served on holidays.

Yes I do. It is called a Mod - yeah (the spelling is completely wrong but just sound it out) The only place that makes it comercialy that I know of is Spuddy's Cajun cooking in Vacherie, LA. It is stuffed into some type of lacy looking fat. He only makes it during the holiday season

Back