Consistant Ribs

rewindme

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
We have struggled for some time now with this. Seems like our timing is always off... either done way too fast or not fast enough and tight. Have moved wrap times around, cooked at different temps, pretty much anything you can. We usually cook Allegance ribs, but have cooked smithfield with same results. Any help appreciated....

Meat selection is a good place to start. You want to be as close to the same size/weight/thickness as possible after trimming. Judging the amount of meat/fat/bone lost to trimming looking at the package helps. The same goes for judging marbling. The more consistent the product is before it goes on the cooker the easier it will be to manage timing.

They will still cook differently, but you shouldn't have as much variation. When you start wrapping within minutes of your target, or whatever step you choose, you are establishing a routine. Then it's much easier to adjust timing during the cook.

Give it more than a cook or two. If you change something major every cook or two, it's going to be hard for you to get the consistency you are looking for.

Probably for the time being you may need to keep better track of them. After a certain time, probe them. If not done give it a little longer. Start with the earliest time you have had them done and work from there. You can always hold them if you need too. I wrap for color and not much else.

Don't be afraid of holding your ribs in a Cambro if they finish early.

Practice, Practice, and more practice.

A few questions that may help you.

What do you cook with?
What temp?

Also, how about a pic of your cooks? Take a pic after trimming and seasoning and before it goes on the cooker. Take a pic before you foil and after you foil your ribs and tell us your process. Now this will allow members more experienced members than me to help you. Best bet is to take a class with a team that scores well with ribs to try their ribs so you can feel the rib in your mouth to guide you to hitting proper tenderness. Now I must be running before the old Rusty Kettle beat down crew shows up. Good luck to you.

I agree with Jorge. The biggest thing you can do is make sure you are buying the ribs within a half pound or less preferably of each other to cut down on variability.

Personally I look for 3.5 lb St. Louis cut and I'll buy them anywhere between 3.4 - 3.6 lbs

Trim uniformity applies here as well

Also good advice Rusty! :thumb:

Now I must be running before the old Rusty Kettle beat down crew shows up.

ZUzfh.jpg

Back