Need UDS Help in Canada - Saskatchewan to be precise

hoodoovoo9

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all, so I gotta find myself a food safe barrel in Regina sask. I thought I had what I need lined up but sadly no - and now I have all the parts to build an UDS burning a whole in my proverbial pocket.
Anyone out there on the range able to assist me?
Help make my UDS come true..... Before I lose patience and just buy a WSM.

:drama:

You can use any 55 gallon drum. Just do a high temperature burn out. If it was lined, then take a wirewheel to it to remove the liner after the burn out.

You can use any 55 gallon drum. Just do a high temperature burn out. If it was lined, then take a wirewheel to it to remove the liner after the burn out.

So I have a brake cleaner barrel thy I've burnt out but frankly got spooked by a couple of articles I read and frankly god safe just makes more sense to me right now, especially hen I think about feeding my family.
I'm cool with poisoning myself - but my family not so much.

Try Uline.ca - they have new unlined barrels(open and closed top) as well as stainless steel barrels($$$!!!). They have distribution centres in Toronto, Vancouver and a new one in Edmonton. Call their toll free # and get a quote.

(edit) - they ship to Regina.

Well,.. I always say check your feed stores. Anywhere you buy grain and animal feed is sure to have a few laying around.

So I have a brake cleaner barrel thy I've burnt out but frankly got spooked by a couple of articles I read and frankly god safe just makes more sense to me right now, especially hen I think about feeding my family.
I'm cool with poisoning myself - but my family not so much.

Care to link the articles for us?

Mine had used motor oil in it. I have fed plenty of people off of it after I had burned it out using the wood from 2 pallets. Getting a big hot fire where the flames are shooting up into the air is the key to the burnout of the drums.

Check bakeries,bulk oil terminals,hydraulic shops,transmission shops,machine shops, or truck stop/oil change places.

In connection with Brother AlwaysSmoky's suggestion, there's Sherwood Co-Op Home and Agro Centre, 615 Winnipeg N. in Regina.

The Agro Centre where I live in Huntsville ON has drums.

Thanks for the overwhelming responses, y'all! i'm on the hunt over the next two days to see what i can find.
Also, please excuse the spelling and poor grammar. Typing on an iphone after a night shift will do that to a person.

aawa, i'll post the article i found last night once i have a chance to find it again. It pertained only to brake clean fluid and then i just decided to adjust my plans overall.

aawa - this is one of the articles that helped change my mind. i understand many people use oil barrels and i'm certainly not trying to anyone's opinion just decided to overhaul my own plan because of it.

Thanks for the overwhelming responses, y'all! i'm on the hunt over the next two days to see what i can find.
Also, please excuse the spelling and poor grammar. Typing on an iphone after a night shift will do that to a person.

aawa, i'll post the article i found last night once i have a chance to find it again. It pertained only to brake clean fluid and then i just decided to adjust my plans overall.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I was just asking for the article so I could read it as well. Hell it might open my eyes to something and make me change my train of thought. I try to remain open minded when facts are presented to me :)

I am building a Roughriders UDS for my brother in law. I will post pics soon..... My current one has the CFL logo on it

Thanks a lot, y'all! i found one yesterday at a large/industrial scale bakery and only cost me $15. Haven't cut the lid off yet to see where it's lined or not but i'm just happy to be back on the fun side of things.

Silly question maybe, but i am a n00b no doubt, why do people vent upwards? Is it just for ease of adjusting the valves or is there something else i should know about?

Thanks for the article. I'm glad you were able to find another drum so you could keep your peace of mind.

From the article it looks like the welder didn't wear proper respiration when dealing with brake cleaner in his shop and it scarred up his respiratory system. Some proper safety precautions of wearing a respirator, filling the drum up with water till it is overflowing out of the bung before cutting, and a high temperature burn out to clear the chemical and burn out the liner of the drum would probably be needed to make sure you that drum is safe for use to be a UDS. But that is neither here nor there.

Have fun building your UDS with the new drum. They are a fun little project and it does put out some great food!

Here is mine

attachment.php

Looks great to me...

Attachments

• sideways.jpg
    sideways.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
Thanks a lot, y'all! i found one yesterday at a large/industrial scale bakery and only cost me $15. Haven't cut the lid off yet to see where it's lined or not but i'm just happy to be back on the fun side of things.

Silly question maybe, but i am a n00b no doubt, why do people vent upwards? Is it just for ease of adjusting the valves or is there something else i should know about?

I think your referring to the intakes. I think mostly it's ease of adjustment,.. and the looks.... they do look cool... That said,.. I didn't bother. Mine come straight out to a cap or the valve. ( IMO they run better straight piped,... no 90, and no extentions) So, throw em' on if you want to. Either way, that drum will kick some butts! ----pun intended--:heh:

Back