Saturday morning butts

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Four butts is about all my uds will hold on one grate. They are weighing in at 40lbs total.

I just purchased a set of scales so I can stop guessing at how much finished weight I have and how much is going in the bags.

DSC02898.jpg

Looks good Cliff. Why the foil around the rim?

Thats a full load there Cliff!
Not much space to draw air, hows the temps doing?

Thats a full load there Cliff!
Not much space to draw air, hows the temps doing?

I left a 4" square hole right in the center with draft in mind. There is a little space around the edges. As they shrink they will draw better.. The temps seem to be holding real steady.

I am going to cook a little hotter than normal because I want this cook to be finished on the same day it started.:lol:

That's a nice load of butts you got there Cliff! Be sure to follow up with pics of the finished butts. I just love pics of nice butts! :biggrin:

You are off to a great start.

What rub are you using?

Good looking butts you have Cliff.

I am curious to see how much of the 40lbs you have left. I did 8 earlier this year and ended up with around 60% I think.

40lbs of butts...looks delicious. That'll make a nice snack, but what are you actually making for dinner! :grin:

Yep...that there's a butt load of butts! :lol: What did you rub 'em up with?

I have had low temp issues. I have had to transfer all four butts to my wsm. Things are better now.

I have had low temp issues. I have had to transfer all four butts to my wsm. Things are better now.

Well, i didn't want to say anything but been there, done that....

Not enough air flow to get a good air draw and the large amount of dripping fat all but extinguishes the coals. :cry:

Well, i didn't want to say anything but been there, done that....

Not enough air flow to get a good air draw and the large amount of dripping fat all but extinguishes the coals. :cry:

I am not going to argue that is was crowded.

I had similar issues when I did 8 butts on two racks. I have done 4 a couple of times before with no real problems but they were smaller cuts.

I have to consider a few other things also.

Besides air flow :

Low 40's all day.

High wind all day.

Rather small pcs of lump.

Seeing how the problems started well into the cook I have to think that air flow was the major contributor to the problem. Everything else just made it worse.

This is all that was left of about 8lbs of lump after only 5 hours.

Normally that is enough to get thru a 12 hour cook.

DSC02902.jpg

Nice save on the butt's Cliff!! :biggrin:

Back