THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jay Bird

is one Smokin' Farker
Winter is just around the corner. Am looking for a remote indicating thermometer that will give meat temp. & also cooking temp. (Two separate probes). Any suggestions as to a good selection?:confused:

Maverick ET-73, best buy out there. It will give you meat temp and cooker temp. for about $40 bucks.
Also, when you wash the probes don't immerse it in water, it will kill the probe. Please don't ask me how I know this. Just clean it with a scotch brite pad a wipe it off.

Maverick ET-73, best buy out there. It will give you meat temp and cooker temp. for about $40 bucks.
Also, when you wash the probes don't immerse it in water, it will kill the probe. Please don't ask me how I know this. Just clean it with a scotch brite pad a wipe it off.
Love my Maverick ET-73. Did not know about the probe though, thanks for the heads up!

The ET-73 is the only one that I know of that has separate probes for meat and chamber temp..

Maverick has another therm (ET-7) with two probes. It's silver, and they are both distributed as meat probes, but there's no reason why you can't use one for the cooker. I forget why, but I liked the ET-73 more when I was shopping and bought it...maybe it had to do with the possible alarms and pre-programmed done temps? Apparently John Deere used to market one as well, and a company called CDN has one.

My personal favourite, as I've mentioned before, if you have the cash is to buy a Stoker with a wireless adapter. Not cheap by a long shot, but when only the best will do....

dmp

edit, I've checked, and the ET-7 and ET-73 are not probe compatible. At least not really compatible. They use the same voltage and signals, but one connector has a larger diameter and unless you use duct tape, it won't stay plugged in.

Many thanks for your quick response & advice. Just ordered the ET-73. The Brotherhood comes thru again. Previous posts led to my purchase of an 18.5" WSM.

I have a Taylor that was a gift. It seems to do a good job. My step-dghtr. got it at walmart. It has a metal-incased probe with a remote unit to notify of temps etc.It's inexpensive compared to many.I left it too close to the grill and the case partially melted. IT STILL WORKS .!

Last edited:
Maverick has another therm (ET-7) with two probes. It's silver, and they are both distributed as meat probes, but there's no reason why you can't use one for the cooker. I forget why, but I liked the ET-73 more when I was shopping and bought it...maybe it had to do with the possible alarms and pre-programmed done temps? Apparently John Deere used to market one as well, and a company called CDN has one.

How high do the meat probes go though? I've got a weber that doesn't go over 200*.

The maverick's might go higher though, as a matter of fact I know they at least go up to 205..

the best thing about the maverick is the cooker probe has an alarm for low and high temps...a life saver!!!

Back