Solenoid or servo valves with UDS ATC

Pasmadj

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have been using my UDS for about a year. I am not able to find a sweet spot where it will "just sit" at a certain temperature. Many online forums have posts where people say their UDS will sit at a temperature for hours and hours.

Therefore, I am interested in a temperature controller. I would like to be able to start a cook late at night and sleeeeeep.

I find that I can adequately control my temps using my ball valve. Has anyone used a solenoid valve (or similar device) instead of a fan with their ATC? I know a fan might be needed later in a long cook when fuel diminishes. But until then, opening and closing a valve would supply air using natural convection?
When using a fan, does air continue to feed into the UDS through the fan blades, and then the fan comes on when that small air supply is not enough?

If your drum won't stay with in say +/-10 degrees for hours and hours you must have a leak at your intakes. Or your adjusting too much. Or possibly the wind is blowing into one of your intakes and causing a change
in temps.
Depending on controllers, some have a flap door that does shut when the fan is not moving. Others do not.

I can set mine ( stabilized temp) at night, go to bed and it will still be at or very near my set temp in the morning. I always fill my coal basket for long cooks. Also if your using a lot of used coals, that affects the temp float range. For long cooks I prefer all new coals. I can dial both of my UDS's in to pretty much any temp I want. I don't settle, that's one reason I built UDS's and modified all my other smokers. I control them, they don't control me.

I have read where people have talked about inlet leaks. I fully understand that. I can say that I was very careful when I made my UDS. I have 3 inlets. I drilled the holes with a step bit. The fittings threaded in the holes. I put a nut on the inside, but they were not necessary. Perhaps wind is the culprit. My UDS is on my deck. My control valve is horizontal, on a 90 deg elbow attached to the inlet.

I try to run it around 225 or 230. The temps change slowly. I adjust when the temp is climbing and it goes above 235. Then I adjust again if it is falling, and goes below 220. On a good day it will go an hour or 2 between adjustments. But, it always seems to be drifting up or down.

I usually fill the basket with new Kingsford and wood chunks, and I put a handful of lit briquettes on top in the middle.

When it climbs and gets to within 30 deg of 225, I start adjusting down to avoid overshoot.

Attachments

• 130921-1 inaugural uds cook - turkey - small.jpg
    130921-1 inaugural uds cook - turkey - small.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 130902-08 Finished Photo.jpg
    130902-08 Finished Photo.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 136
I would say that inlet pointing sideways is the culprit. If the wind is right, it's pulling out through that inlet. If it shifts, it's blowing harder through that inlet.

I can't imagine the valve pointing sideways is much of an issue, if even an issue at all. It would be affected by the wind in the same way that any similar sized inlet without the 90-degree bend would be affected.

My question would be how much space you have between the bottom of your coal basket and the bottom of the drum. I can't tell exactly by the picture, but the basket doesn't seem to hold the coals very high off of the ground. If that is the case, airflow to the bottom of your fire could be getting restricted. Especially as ash builds up.

To answer your other questions, though, some fan setups allow airflow through the fan blades when the fan isn't spinning, then just draw more air when the fan is spinning. There are others that have a servo motor to turn a little flap that closes off all incoming air when necessary, too.

Are you handy at building stuff at the board level? If so, look in to the HeaterMeter. It is just outside of my DIY capabilities (I think), but I believe there is an option that includes the servo motor/valve that you are looking for (it does include a fan, though).

Thanks very much for the reply. My basket is pretty standard - compared to others I have read about. The bottom is a Weber coal grate (15" dia I think) with expanded metal sides. I think I used 2 1/2" bolts upside down as legs underneath. I definitely could raise it up 1/2" or so to test a theory.

Is there an ash catcher on the bottom of it? The nuts, washers, and width of the materials can start eating up that 2 1/2" pretty quickly and might leave you with 1 3/4" or less of space. I think the recommended space is 3". Try and squeeze out that extra 1/2" and see what happens. Might be worth your effort to push it out to 3", though, if you can.

Good luck with it.

Edit: I can see it better on the computer. Looks like no ash catcher (which is fine, too). I still think that the space between the bottom of your drum and the bottom of the basket could be a contributing factor.

IMHO I'd get rid of the 90 deg elbows for the exhaust, any that point into the wind will allow wind to blow into the top of the drum messin with the proper flow. Also, I'd say you need more exhaust than what you have, but it is hard to tell the size of those fittings. Your drum is having a hard time breathing. Like mentioned, your 2 1/2 inch basket height is a bit on the short side for doing long cooks and choking off your coals. I went from 3 inches to 4 inches to the bottom of the coal grate on both my drums only due to I found on really long smokes the ash build up was almost at the coal grate, but I mostly use briquettes not lump. There is a difference in ash amounts, I just hate all the small bits, dust and throw away crap from lump.

Wow. Thanks guys for the quick, and very helpful feedback.

> First, I think the basket height is the factor I can adjust the easiest and quickest. I tried to balance the height of the legs with keeping the coals as far below the meat as possible. I do use a pizza pan and a water pan above the coals, so maybe I can raise the basket an inch or so. I don't run my UDS every weekend, so I don't know when I will give that a try.

> Second, about the exhaust: I am an engineer, so I had a little fun calculating cross-sectional area of pipes in different quantities. (I attached the Excel file in case someone is interested). I used 4 1" 90s because mathematically, they are the same area as 1 2" pipe - 3.14 sq-in. However, I am also practical, so I know that other factors affect this - like fittings, bends, etc.. I used 90s to keep rain out during bad weather cooks. Perhaps I can just enlarge the holes and use larger 90s.

Someone suggested that the 90s can aloow wind to create back pressure. I can see how that would happen. How do you keep rain out of straight-pipe exhaust?? Seems like that would be a hassle.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Hole Area Calculator.xlsx
    19.5 KB · Views: 4
I run my UDS under a cover.... not like it ever rains here.

No exhaust pipes, just holes covered with magnets.

Howdy neighbor....nice drum!!!! My question is have you ever let you drum temp rise and not make adjustments to see where and if it settles? Sometimes some drums simply prefer to settle at a certain temp and it sounds like you may have been making adjustments to yours prematurely which causes it to never settle and you to constantly fight the temps. Just a thought!

As for the ATC, I typically cook without one, however I will hook one up to mine on occasion when I do overnight cooks or need to cook while away from home. Works great on mine and my ATC holds temps within 5 degrees.

Howdy neighbor....nice drum!!!! My question is have you ever let you drum temp rise and not make adjustments to see where and if it settles? Sometimes some drums simply prefer to settle at a certain temp and it sounds like you may have been making adjustments to yours prematurely which causes it to never settle and you to constantly fight the temps. Just a thought!

As for the ATC, I typically cook without one, however I will hook one up to mine on occasion when I do overnight cooks or need to cook while away from home. Works great on mine and my ATC holds temps within 5 degrees.

Thanks. I am not sure I have ever left it alone to see if the temp would settle in. I should put that on my list of things to do. It would be fairly easy - just hook up my iGrill, get it near 230, and then let it go.

What ATC do you have? Would you buy it again, or which one would you recommend?

Thanks. I am not sure I have ever left it alone to see if the temp would settle in. I should put that on my list of things to do. It would be fairly easy - just hook up my iGrill, get it near 230, and then let it go.

What ATC do you have? Would you buy it again, or which one would you recommend?

Try letting it go to see where it settles.....can do this with no food one day when you're not too busy. You may find that it likes to settle around 250-275deg which is what I found with mine. When I want lower temps I can add a diffuser and run it with the same valve settings.

I'm currently using the QMaster Junior that I picked up from Woodpelletsmoker here on the forum back end of last year. I have had great success with it as it does what I ask of it. Comparable options are the IQ110/120 and the PartyQ.

You can get pipe plugs that size. Mine stays under a lean-to but I've thought about them to keep the kids from filling them with rocks.

Also try it with out the water pan, takes a lot of heat to keep that water warm and you really shouldn't need it in a UDS.

Back