My twist on a spatchcocked chicken

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people applying rubs and/or herbed butter under the skin on a spatchcocked chicken.
I cut the skin down the breast bone and peel it back to expose the breast meat and the legs,
opened_zpss79q8zu4.jpg

apply the rub, lifting the legs to get underneath
rubbed_zpskyo4e7w1.jpg

and pull the skin back over the chicken, overlaping the skin over the breast bone, and pin it with a few toothpicks.
closed_zpsel8vodtz.jpg

I set up the grill with the usual Minion method, with a piece of the mulberry wood I found while walking the dog the other day. Placed the chicken with the legs and thigh protecting the breast and ignored things for about 60 minutes,
on%20the%20grill_zpsg8wzp1ni.jpg

because it's only about 2.5 lbs.
The dogs told me that it was time to check the chicken. They were right.
done_zpsvsgycys5.jpg

That worked out well
I've been doing it that way for about a year. The result has been consistently , to quote Cowgirl, "kind of tasty". It really takes no extra time, since the time needed to cut the skin is less than the time wasted fighting working under the skin.
Your example of paying attention to what is happening paid off.

I have a great idea (in my mind) of something new to do with chicken, but, it won't make things easier or faster. :crazy:

I have a great idea (in my mind) of something new to do with chicken, but, it won't make things easier or faster. :crazy:
But I'll guess that it will blow the rest of us away.

Good looking bird. What's the rub you have there?

Good looking bird. What's the rub you have there?
I call it my "Greek Seasoning Blend"
The ingredients vary but I start from this

2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Dang I'll have to try the rub and do it your way, that looks real good

It's a good idea, I'll have to try it. I don't ever bother putting anything under the skin, but I'm the only one in my family that eats the skin. Good news: more skin for me. But then the rest of them just end up eating plain chicken. :eek:

Back