Master Chef Brisket

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yes, just in time to be too late for the Brisket Master Throwdown, my non-entry. A Creekstone Master Chef packer, all 17.4 pounds :shocked:

brisket1_zps2lz3hhrf.jpg

After trimming, it was probably more like 15.5 pounds, I hit it with a largely SPOG rub, but, with a little Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy to round things out.

rubbed1_zpsiwwosjm1.jpg

It went on to a large BGE, running with Wicked Good charcoal, along with apple wood and hickory. About 50/50 of charcoal and wood. The BGE was set to run at 310°F, the brisket went on at 220°F and rode up with the cooker. Ran from 9am to about 12pm, then wrapped and back in from 12pm to 3pm, then unwrapped until 4pm.

done1_zpslxgdubbq.jpg

You might be thinking that there is not a good bark, you would be wrong. See the following images.

933f1eb1-4e56-4dff-8f72-b07fd6a8691b_zpsxccsxrrp.jpg

Bendy, that is actually two, maybe three, slices on the fork, from the flat.

07dc12bc-a520-4257-97a7-91c6597fae3d_zps7s5xl04u.jpg

Point was also sliced, and super moist, rendering was spot on.

a1ffebac-14f8-446c-a7d0-57acfc2d9ae8_zpskopmggjr.jpg

What I consider to be burnt ends, the trimmings from the edges off of a proper brisket. These are tender, with a salty and crisp bark, with a sweet hint from the rendered fat.

Oh, and there were pies. Apple.

pies1_zpsa0mxfaw2.jpg

Brisket and apple pie, sounds like the meal of champions to me! Nice cook Bob!

KC

That looks great, Bob! You've been on a brisket roll lately...

Awesome looking brisket! I may be the only one on here but i think smoke rings are just down right ugly... Love how there isn't much of one
Yeah, I have no idea why there was not much of a smoke ring, I am more about flavor. There was great smoke flavor.

Thanks everyone.

I would be more than proud to have cooked a brisket that well.

So much to learn....I need to think outside the box more often..

Looks delicious Bob.

Beautiful...I love SM Sweet & Spicy on pork, now I must try it on brisket. Great pit too!

So much to learn....I need to think outside the box more often..

Looks delicious Bob.

How so, to my mind, this is pretty much in the box. Just apply rub and heat. :thumb:

Beautiful...I love SM Sweet & Spicy on pork, now I must try it on brisket. Great pit too!

I use just a touch, just trying to round things out.

Looks good enough to eat! I love the look of a tender slice of brisket the bends just right.

Great looking feed right there
I want one of them pies,I could commit sins for an apple pie
So you trim most of the fat off?

Great looking feed right there
I want one of them pies,I could commit sins for an apple pie
So you trim most of the fat off?
No, this one had a lot of fat on it. Normally I leave the cap at 1/4", and I only remove yellow or soft fat. I will remove some of the fat between the flat and point, but, leave more than most do.

Back