Turn 22.5 Kettle into Smoker

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I remember seeing pieces I can buy to turn a 22.5 kettle into a WSM-style cooker. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Can't seem to find it now!

An even cheaper option is with a few firebricks, a 20 inch pizza pan as a heat deflector & using a fuse method you can use the entire surface for cooking & it'll run smoking temps for 8-12 hours

Canjun Bandit is what I was thinking of - Although the Smoke EZ is a little bit bigger it seems. My friends who live about 1.5hr away bought a kettle just for when I visit, and insisted on buying a WSM for when I visit as well. But I don't want them to spend that kind of money on me, so I told them they can get a conversion kit for their kettle and save some cash

I use my rotisserie ring.

2 bricks to hold coals at the back 1/3 of the grill, drip pans on the cooking grate. I've drilled holes and put SS screws about 1" from the top of the rotisserie ring to hold an additional cooking grate - that's when my meat goes. I don't worry about the holes in the ring - it's a little extra exhaust.

You can still add an 18" grate on legs on top of the cookign grate if you need a little more space up top.

Without increasing the height you can add one of these: www.abcbarbecue.com>slow-n-sear

W/o adding volume, I've just used some firebrick to create a pretty decent sized section for the coals/wood chunks with about 70-75% of the grate for indirect cooking.

Probably not what you're looking for, but was a pretty inexpensive option.

If you just need a little room, this works well. Three carriage bolts with 6 nuts and washers, a spare grate, and you get
rack_zps0c27acde.jpg

Works quite well with spareribs, chicken parts, and
2nd%20grate_zpsq4eumaak.jpg

country style ribs and a sweet potato. With this short a bolt, it fits under the kettle lid. If you use a 18 " grate, you can use longer bolts.
I have a second kettle, and rarely need to fire it up, using this.

Buy a smokenator and then you can use the charcoal grate for cooking on

An even cheaper option is with a few firebricks, a 20 inch pizza pan as a heat deflector & using a fuse method you can use the entire surface for cooking & it'll run smoking temps for 8-12 hours

Do you have a picture of this. Where do yo put the fire brick?

You can do better than a Smokenator or Slow-N-Sear in terms of both capacity and cook time. You don't need to increase vertical height. And you don't need to sacrifice cooking area by using an offset charcoal type of arrangement:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236523&highlight=kettle+plate

Kettle Plate 2.0 is being made now. I'll post photos and details of the update after I use it a few times and run some temperature and longevity tests. In the meantime...copy what I've made! Ideas are not proprietary!

But the future of kettle smoking is near. :)

Canjun Bandit is what I was thinking of - Although the Smoke EZ is a little bit bigger it seems. My friends who live about 1.5hr away bought a kettle just for when I visit, and insisted on buying a WSM for when I visit as well. But I don't want them to spend that kind of money on me, so I told them they can get a conversion kit for their kettle and save some cash

I have a cajun bandit stacker. I was looking at both the smoke ez and this, and I didn't see the value in the higher price for the smoke EZ.

I've had the stacker from C.B. for 4yrs or so - it's awesome. I also drilled into the sides and added another shelf for a 2nd standard weber grate for 2x the capacity. I used it as a cheap alternative to a 22.5 WSM for a summer (and even competed with this setup and won), but ultimately went with the WSM.

The main difference between the WSM and the C.B. stacker mod on a kettle is heat retention (the WSM is thicker steel), and the WSM is MUCH easier to modulate temperature - in both steadiness and longer burn time).

BUT, the stacker ended up being one of my favorite things I own for a different reason. I like using it when grilling, building a hot fire and having some elevation to the cooking surface - it's almost like a santa maria grill in that regard. I haven't grilled without the stacker in years. It's awesome.

Back