Grass Fed - Corn Fed - Preference?

Do you like Grass Fed Beef?

• Yes, I like it fine.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • No, I still prefer corn fed.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • I have figured out how to cook with it.

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
I prefer the flavor of grass fed, grain finished. I keep mine (Black Angus) on pasture til time to fatten for slaughter. They are still fed grass, roughage, alfalfa, in addition to the grain, like Norm said.
In the fall, (depending on where you live) cattle, deer and other critters eat wild grains or native grass seed to put on fat for the winter. Adding the grains that are readily available to me, for my cattle's diet, helps speed this process.
jmo

The real question according to my neighbor, is which is better... Red Angus or Black Angus? :-D
According to my uncle, who raised cattle in Idaho, we are Hereford people, we will die Hereford people.

:becky:

I buy a quarter of grass fed beef each year. If you get the right breed of cattle it kicks ass compared to any supermarket bought meat. You can't much beat a burger from the grass fed beef I get... and that's a challenge. The ribeyes are insanely good as well. However for the smoker or when you need extra fat in your cook corn fed is the way to go. Also I get the meat from a small farmer and so there is variation from year to year and cow to cow. Studies show grass fed is significantly healthier for the cow and for you.

It can't be too healthy for the cow........dead is dead.....

I think this grass-fed phenomenon is just marketing to get us to be satisfied with more cheaply produced meat.

Or could it be those entrepreneurs in Colorado, Washington and Oregon trying to find new markets for their livelihood. :noidea:

hqdefault.jpg

They say that dark cutters come from stressed cattle, and reduce yield and profitability. This farmer is simply trying to maximize yield and marketability by reducing cattle stress

Most of the cattle being fattened on grain around my neck of the woods get little to no corn. The main source of protein/fat comes from cotton seed meal mixed with beet pulp and maze silage. Arizona was growing a fair amount of corn but it was going to ethanol producers.

I'm old enough to remember when sugar, butter and eggs were good for you, then bad, then good again. Turns out the replacements that scientists touted as the way of the future turned out be bad for you or maybe not if you wait for the next study.

I'll stick with eating whatever beef tastes best.

I'm old enough to remember when sugar, butter and eggs were good for you, then bad, then good again. Turns out the replacements that scientists touted as the way of the future turned out be bad for you or maybe not if you wait for the next study.

Over and over I see studies that show those things are most processed or veer outside of natures norms are what's bad for you. Turns out butter and eggs are good for you (again). The processed stuff eg sugar and margarine are bad for you despite the push for them by special interest groups. Cows eat grass and it keeps them healthy whereas corn increases their intestinal bad bacteria and fattens them up, which is agreed tasty but not healthy for you or them. However I'm all for making your own decisions and eating what you like. As you said studies change but in my experience eating "natural" and in moderation is what's best.

Over and over I see studies that show those things are most processed or veer outside of natures norms are what's bad for you. Turns out butter and eggs are good for you (again). The processed stuff eg sugar and margarine are bad for you despite the push for them by special interest groups. Cows eat grass and it keeps them healthy whereas corn increases their intestinal bad bacteria and fattens them up, which is agreed tasty but not healthy for you or them. However I'm all for making your own decisions and eating what you like. As you said studies change but in my experience eating "natural" and in moderation is what's best.

2 very excellent posts.

I agree with TedW I like the grass fed corn finished. Corn is hard on the Cows (although they love it and prefer it to Grass) But Corn = Fat and Fat = taste and juiciness. Therefore I like the corn finished. The grass fed just dries out to fast (even when cooked sous vide)

Back