THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

IlliniQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I used to always hate grilling chicken. Seemed no matter what I did, I either dried it out horribly or left the center raw. I never really knew how to manage the heat, and always felt that chicken was too much hassle to fight with.

But, since getting into smoking, I finally got a handle on the use of low/indirect heat on the grill, as well, and made some of the best grilled chicken I've ever eaten as a result. All it took was realizing I needed to sear the meat, then cook indirect.

I used a whole chicken, broken down into pieces. Seared them for about 7 minutes and then moved them to the cool side of the grill and added a few chunks of cherry to the coals.
photo-mar-20-5-36-21-pm.jpg

Then I let this smokin' hot redhead do the work for about 30 minutes
photo-32.jpg

I grilled some zucchini and broccolini to go with it
photo-mar-20-5-53-13-pm.jpg

Added a little sauce for the last 10 minutes or so
photo-mar-20-6-00-10-pm.jpg

Finished product looked pretty good, I think...
photo-mar-20-6-13-38-pm.jpg

Now I actually look forward to grilling chicken again...and this plate didn't stay full for very long
photo-mar-20-6-13-46-pm.jpg

Good lookin' chicken! I'm in the same boat and slowly learning to do decent chicken. Still lots to learn though...

Good lookin' chicken! I'm in the same boat and slowly learning to do decent chicken. Still lots to learn though...

Yeah, I've got plenty to learn myself. At least "stop transforming chicken into charcoal over prolonged direct heat" was a good start... :tsk:

Letting it go slow with indirect heat not only picks up more of the smoky flavor from the wood and coals, but also leaves a much wider margin of error for when to pull the chicken off the grill

There is nothing wrong with that chicken at all. It looks perfect.

It took me a little bit to cook chicken on my gasser, but once I mastered it, I still had a couple mistakes later. I think chicken is just a fickle beast.

Then I tried it on WSM and the first two cooks had great meat, but the skin was ugly enough that you didn't want to eat it. Finally I got it down, or I got lucky once. We'll see next time.

Great looking dish, took me some time to master chicken parts on the grill also, whole chicken is still hit or miss for me even on the smoker. Breast is always done before the thigh and when the thigh is done breast is dry.

Looks great! Chicken can be a pain sometimes when it should be easy... Chocked down some dry chicken through the years. Great job.

^^^^ Listen to Dan... he is the man!

It's sure fun to smoke and grill chicken! Try cooking indirect and sear.

This is what I do, and it works just as well as what you did. I especially like to do this with wings. Let them sit in some cherry and apple smoke for a while, then sear to finish. Yum!

I'll chime in here too as I also am a firm believer in indirect heat with chicken. On the weber OTS the chicken goes over a water pan and grate temp stays between 325 - 375. I don't sear or add sauce but I use copious amounts of kosher salt on the skin and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours - makes for fabulous crispy skin. Just a little fresh ground black while on the grill and remove when breast IT is 170.

Glad you found a successful technique - maybe I will try searing a little before it goes to the indirect side.

Back