Turkey thawing disaster - food safe questions

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I watched Alton Brown's video yesterday that mentioned you could thaw and brine a frozen bird at the same time, and that you don't need to add ice because the frozen bird is essentially a giant ice block and will keep your brine water cold while it thaws.

I mixed my salt water brine and plopped my turkey into the cambro and left it in the bathtub overnight.

When I checked the temp this morning the water was around 65F. I little more investigating revealed that the bird my wife bought was not completely frozen but was a fresh bird that had the skin flash frozen just a bit to preserve it until it was cooked. There was insufficient frozen mass to lower the brine temp below 40 degrees as was the plan. So I popped the cambro in the fridge when I was running out the door.

Here's my problem. I'm guessing the water in that cambro is still not much colder 4 hours later than it was earlier this morning. That means my bird has been in the water brine for about 12 hours now and the temperature has probably ranged from around 55-70F.

Should I just get a new bird and start over?

Hate to tell you to waste a bird, but that's just too many hours, and too many unknowns on the actual temps. Its just too big of a gamble.

Throw that away and be the Hero of Thanksgiving.. not the other guy who still regrets it to this day. lol

Turkey's are really cheap and wont' be much to replace.

I'm at the market now. I hadn't realized there was such a thing as partially frozen – but it makes sense why they would do that.

I'm thinking I might skip the brine altogether on this one – just spatchcock it, lay it flat and get my pellet smoker good and hot.

If it was like 41 or even 45 degrees you MIGHT be able to get away with it. But 65 degrees??? That's the temp of a really nice spring day.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Guess you can tell what my thoughts are.....

If this was me I would probably cook it for myself but not serve it to other people. Reason being that it was sitting in a brine. Bacteria don't really do salt - that's why people use salt for curing bacon and such.

If you used the AB brine he calls for 1 gallon of brine to be mixed with 1 gallon of ice water. So your turkey would have been sitting in ice water for at least a little while, right?

Personally I'd buy a new one, turkey is cheap and poultry is something I don't mess with. Plus now you know they don't take long to thaw! Lol

if you cook that bird and feed those people im calling the police

thread saved

I'm at the market now. I hadn't realized there was such a thing as partially frozen – but it makes sense why they would do that.

I'm thinking I might skip the brine altogether on this one – just spatchcock it, lay it flat and get my pellet smoker good and hot.

Good job, glad you tossed it. :clap2: Don't want to be known as the relative that got everyone sick. If you don't wet brine it, try dry brining. Check Meathead's site amazingribs.com. And spatchcocking is a good idea as well, although I don't know if I'd go hot n fast.

You did the right thing.....

Food poisoning is a terrible thing to endure, not to mention the cost of the medical treatments. A new turkey is much cheaper than any risk to be taken.
Keep in mind that food poisoning doesn't make you sick the next day, it can take up to 30 days or longer for the colonies to develop before they produce the neuro-toxins that shut your organs down.

Here are a couple files on brining, good reading.

Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Brine.... The flavor is truly awesome!!!!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1087814&postcount=1

To Brine or Not to Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1464686&postcount=1

Last edited:
If this was me I would probably cook it for myself but not serve it to other people. Reason being that it was sitting in a brine. Bacteria don't really do salt - that's why people use salt for curing bacon and such.

If you used the AB brine he calls for 1 gallon of brine to be mixed with 1 gallon of ice water. So your turkey would have been sitting in ice water for at least a little while, right?

Gotta agree....I don't know the salt to water ratio after all is said and done with that brine, but it's probably enough to inhibit any bad bacterial growth in such a short time. I ferment all sorts of stuff in a brine for up to 6 weeks at room temp.

I'd cook for myself and taste test...go ahead and do another if it makes ha feel safe though for everyone else. Freeze it and thaw as needed long as you don't get sick (which 99/100 you won't).

Disclaimer...don't know what all is in ABs "brine". When I ferment it's just saltwater.

Back