Grilled tenderloins!!??

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Man....is it a Midwest thing? I go to a local restraunt and ask for a tenderloin and I get asked grilled or fried? I've googled and got nothing but whole tenderloins...which ain't all bad...he he. But hasn't anyone posted anything about a tenderloin sammich!? Like..taking a loin chop...smashing it a little..seasoning it...grilling it....the mustard and mayo with lettuce and onion on a toasted bun?????; can't find NOTHING!! You know y'all would hit it!!? Anyone?

My neighbor is from Indian and she has told me about the fabled Elephant Ears sold in the hoosier state.

Pork loin that is cut into a medialion and pounded out thin. Breaded and deep fried. The loin is about 3 times too big for the bun that it is served on but oh so dericious. (According my neighbor)

I haven't seen them anywhere in the Mid Atlantic Region and my neighbor says she hasn't seen it anywhere other than Indiana. I want to try to make them soon.

Like this?
Pork_tenderloin_sandwich.JPG

We have these everywhere here. Every little bar around does up a tenderloin sammy. It must be a midwest thing. who knew.

I grew up in Iowa eating them, love'em. They only seem to be available in a small, about 100mile, swath of the Midwest from Iowa to Indiana. I now live in Florida and get them when ever I go north. People in the rest of the country don't know what they are missing.

Wow, interesting. The things that you take for granted! Never knew a pork tenderloin sandwich is a midwest thing. I figured they would be everywhere.

There is a small racetrack in Illinois, Jacksonville Speedway that makes theses and they are to die for. Steamy hot and crisp, full of flavor.

I have a full loin in the fridge and may make some Friday after being turkey-ed out!

they were great!!

I grew up in mid-mo with one that made them as big as a plate like that one and battered n fried OR grilled. Now me not turning away anything fried always had the battered. I leave this post saying " :doh: why have I never tried to do the grilled version at home?" Since you posted it I am in the mood, so I know what will b on the menu this weekend-besides turkey :clap2:

I tried to bread and fry some tenderloin medallions one time. The flavor was good, but the texture was off. It was like biting into a really tender processed chicken nugget.

I think it will be key to beat them really flat so you get a good crust to pork ratio if you decide to fry them.

We have those here in Ohio too. Also called a big T, usually very good!

LOL - Try looking up Milanesa Torta. Its just a pork version. They are very popular in border states.

Back