About to buy a Big Green Egg: Questions and Thoughts?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all!

Goodness, been a long time since I last posted. I still have my Bandera smoker and a nice Weber Kettle.....

But I'm lusting after a Big Green Egg and wondered if any of you that had them might offer some advice and answers.

I'm REALLY leaning towards getting the XL BGE....over the Large. The salesman almost seemed to try to get me NOT to buy the more $$ XL...saying the Large was the most popular...that the XL had less accessories, and that it didn't regular heat, especially on long slow low cooks as well as the smaller large unit.

I've been reading forums all over...I'm getting the sense that since the XL BGE came out a few years ago, that it has undergone some redesign that addressed some of those temp regulation issues....any thoughts on this?

Also, he was claiming it used way more fuel....that's not that big a concern for me, but again, from reading I seem to get the idea that if this was a problem it has been fixed maybe in the redesign?

And from what I can see...between the BGE official and 3rd party folks, there are PLENTY of accessories for the XL.

So, I'm really looking for input here from any of ya'll that have experience with the BGE and especially the XL version of the beast.

I've registerd with the BGE forum...but it seems they only let you read for awhile, I don't seem to be able to post questions there yet...and dammit,I wanna buy today or tomorrow and have my new toy to play with this weekend!!
:)

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I have never used anything except my XL and love it. My decision would be around how much space you want/need. Maybe the margins are higher on the L? :wink:

I have a Large BGE and Love It Fully loaded I know I could get a 24 hr burn using my Lump Charcoal It does weigh a ton so I cant imagine the XL I have never used one- PM Militant Squater I know he use to have one As for using more fuel I would imagine it would as it is bigger but I believe there is an accessory that cuts the fire box in half for cooks where you dont need the whole thing Check out the ceramic grill store for accessories. You will not be sorry getting one See if there is an Eggfest in your area- you can get a demo at a reduced rate

I have a large bge and love it, but I'm sure I'd love the XL as well. If I didn't have a small and a mini, I'd probably look into an XL.

I don't know what the case is now, but in "the old days," you could buy a large and a small for the price of an XL. I always like that idea because you can smoke on one and do sides/other things on the other.

yeah it pretty much comes down to how much space cooking space you need. for my needs the large does just fine. If you'll regularly be cooking a ton of stuff, say a couple of briskets, several butts, then maybe go for the XL. For regular use cooking dinner, doing a butt or two, or a couple racks of ribs, a large is going to be just fine. Honestly though, no matter which size you get, you're going to love it. :mrgreen:

I had a large grill dome, now I have the xl Kamado Big Joe with the divide and conquer. I love this setup way more than a large. I love the firebox divider and I can do indirect and direct like on my kettle. I love my kettle but when smoking on the Joe or the BGE you get the full grate to put food.

I wonder if the divide and conquer fits the xl.

Alaways better to have more space. Going from a kettle 22.5 to ceramic large I wasn't as happy but maybe that was just my cooking style. I would go Xl.

I still use my kettles a lot. I love them as well.

I chose a Primo XL vs the BGE sue to the fact its made in the USA. I have been very happy with the long smokes and the temp control

All my friends and relatives have the Big Green Egg- either Large or Xtra Large. To a person they have each said they wished BGE made an Oval XL. I have a BGE-Mini and understand the product loyalty gig. I won't jump thread and try to convince you otherwise.

Best I can tell you are settled on a brand. IMHO get the XL.

The large is too small IMO. We have one at the deer camp. That said I don't really get the whole BGE deal. I can do everything an egg can on a WSM and kettle and do it better and cheaper.

You will be happy with your purchase. I would suggest that you look a the Primo and the Kamado Joe before pulling the trigger. They are all fine cookers, and you might find something on one that you like better.

Cook On!

Wow

Goodness...thank you EVERYONE for the input and so quickly too!

Ok, yeah, I'd seen the fuel "reducer" rings and other angle implements where you can reduce the fuel...I was thinking that ring reducer would be amazingly good for doing stir fries with a nice wok....

The multi-level and different cooking tricks (indirect/direct set up with angle bracket things) looked interesting, but I don't quite yet have a grip on how to do that.

I'm single and in between girlfriends..so, just me usually, but I don't know how to cook for less than an army. I'm a big believer in leftovers...and even with my Bandera smoker, If I'm not filling it up, I'll call out to friends if they want to bring meat over I'll throw it on with my stuff.
And with football season, I'll be having friends over, so whether smoking in it or grilling a bunch of burgers or whatever, I will like having that extra space.

I went to the store to look at both the L and the XL side by side. My wish was for one right in the middle....but anyway, I'm kinda leaning towards getting the larger one.

My main concern was with things I'd seen that said the XL had problem keeping steady temp control, especially over longer low temp sessions....

I'll be posting soon about it as that I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the XL today or tomorrow and get it delivered by this weekend to play with.

This place near me put a package together:
XL Combo - XL egg, the Nest with wheels, and the side tables for $1595
XL Plate Setter $129

Delivery...he said he needs 2 guys..so that is $150 and I have to add tax in too I think.
Shame you can't buy online and avoid that.

The large he quoted me:
LG Combo - egg, nest with wheels and side tables for $1050
LG Plate Setter - $79.95
Delivery $75

Does this sound in the ball park of a fair price?

I went to a Komodo Joe rep here...they quoted me:
XL - (Big Joe Red apparently black is no longer made) - $1599
L - Classic Joe - $999
Delivery one either would be $80

And with the KJ...they said it would be like 1-2 weeks...and the BGE folks have them in stock so I can get it this week.

How do those prices look to ya'll? I live in the New Orleans area...

cayenne

The large is too small IMO. We have one at the deer camp. That said I don't really get the whole BGE deal. I can do everything an egg can on a WSM and kettle and do it better and cheaper.

How hot can you get a WSM?

Hi,
I have cooked on the BGE large and Mini for years now and they work great for me. That said I have no experience on others.
The large is my goto for big cooks. With a 2 tier rack setup I have done brisket and butts at the same time. The Mini for small or short cooks for the wife and I.
What I do know is the two BGE forums have incredible support and help for all Eggheads.
In fact there are few from the NOLA area.
I would recommend you look at The Ceramic Grill Store for accessories for any of the ceramic cookers/smokers. Tom, the owner is a great guys and makes great stuff. Just call and tell Tom what you cook. Do a search on google.
Good luck with whichever you choose.

XL Plate Setter $129

Delivery...he said he needs 2 guys..so that is $150 and I have to add tax in too I think.

The large he quoted me:
LG Plate Setter - $79.95
Delivery $75

I'd skip the plate setter and order an adjustable rig.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-adjustable-rig.html

I've got a Lg and the guy next door has the EXL, he has more room for sure but the lg cooks everything the wife and I can eat plus most of the block.
Look for a eggfest around your area, they normally sale the eggs that have been used one day for about a 20% savings.

I don't know about that dude. I have a kettle and while I still use and love it, it's not doing anything better than the egg. No matter how good you are. And even though I don't have experience with the WSM, I've never heard anyone other than ceramic owners say they're getting multiple long smokes on just one load of charcoal.

Goodness...thank you EVERYONE for the input and so quickly too!

Ok, yeah, I'd seen the fuel "reducer" rings and other angle implements where you can reduce the fuel...I was thinking that ring reducer would be amazingly good for doing stir fries with a nice wok....

The multi-level and different cooking tricks (indirect/direct set up with angle bracket things) looked interesting, but I don't quite yet have a grip on how to do that.

I'm single and in between girlfriends..so, just me usually, but I don't know how to cook for less than an army. I'm a big believer in leftovers...and even with my Bandera smoker, If I'm not filling it up, I'll call out to friends if they want to bring meat over I'll throw it on with my stuff.
And with football season, I'll be having friends over, so whether smoking in it or grilling a bunch of burgers or whatever, I will like having that extra space.

I went to the store to look at both the L and the XL side by side. My wish was for one right in the middle....but anyway, I'm kinda leaning towards getting the larger one.

My main concern was with things I'd seen that said the XL had problem keeping steady temp control, especially over longer low temp sessions....

I'll be posting soon about it as that I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the XL today or tomorrow and get it delivered by this weekend to play with.

XL Plate Setter $129

The large he quoted me:
LG Plate Setter - $79.95
Delivery $75

Does this sound in the ball park of a fair price?

I went to a Komodo Joe rep here...they quoted me:
XL - (Big Joe Red apparently black is no longer made) - $1599
L - Classic Joe - $999
Delivery one either would be $80

And with the KJ...they said it would be like 1-2 weeks...and the BGE folks have them in stock so I can get it this week.

How do those prices look to ya'll? I live in the New Orleans area...

cayenne

Go for it. I believe it when they say the XL needs two people. The large is heavy as hell.

I don't know about that dude. I have a kettle and while I still use and love it, it's not doing anything better than the egg. No matter how good you are. And even though I don't have experience with the WSM, I've never heard anyone other than ceramic owners say they're getting multiple long smokes on just one load of charcoal.

Go for it. I believe it when they say the XL needs two people. The large is heavy as hell.

Thank you!

Do the prices I quoted sound in the ballpark of what others around the US are getting them for?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

you can get a Kamado Joe Big Joe at a costco roadshow for 1199 all in.

Most places will match the costco prices if you can negotiate.

You can order online from Ace Hardware, or BBQ guys etc

I own 3 kamado Joes, not a BGE. I like that you get everything all in with the kamado joe. I equate that BGE to an ala carte and you have to buy this and that and the prices get up there quickly.

Good luck

I have a large. I wish I had an extra large only when I smoke brisket or ribs. The large works fine though, just a little tight with a 15# brisket. :)

I think for most cooks you would be wasting a lot of charcoal with an extra large.—*especially when just cooking for your family.

Extra large and a small or medium is probably ideal. Realistically the large is probably more practical — unless you're cooking for large amounts of people all the time on it.

Back