Discussion Thread -> **Special**"2016 Ribeye Master!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS ALL MONTH!

My Ribeye Master Entry

My wife said she was in the mood for a good steak dinner tonight so I figure what a perfect time to throw my hat into the ring.

I got a cowboy ribeye (at least that is what they call it here) for tonight.
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

I seasoned it with some cracked black pepper, some sea salt and a rub made a butcher in my wife's hometown. I decided to do a reverse sear so I put this on the cold side and let it get to 110 degrees. Pulled it and let it rest for 15 mins while I got some more coals hot. Put it back on for about a minute per side and pulled it at about 130. This was the first time I did the reverse sear this way. I usually don't let it rest so long. I was surprised how fast it shot up in temp.
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg

Here is the finished product.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg

Please use the 2 pic in each group of 2 (so the 2nd, 4th and 6th pic as you scroll down).

Couple nice ribeyes from the local grocery store.

Zitterich, since you submitted the required 3 photos, I assume this is an entry?

Folks, please make sure you identify your submission as an official entry as Shagdog just inquired. The easiest way to do this is using the title field above your post, just as buckysGT just did:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3652523&postcount=41

Second, if you DO submit more than the required 3 entry photos per the Master's Throwdown rules, be sure to indicate which three photos you want used for judging, or we will make the decision for you.

Thanks, and keep those great entries coming! :thumb:

Use your wsm? Just put the grate right on the basket :thumb:

If you were talking to me, I don't have the WSM any longer. Sold it to another Brethren four months or so ago...

I guess I could try squeezing a grate above the fire pan on the LSG cabinet??? :mmph:

Either way, those ribeyes are gone already. Grilled on the gasser with my attempt at making a grilled version of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms like you get at Red Lobster. Steaks were great, shrooms, not so much. They were ok, but better in an oven with a lot of butter.

By the way, this is NOT an entry...

AB9937A0-781D-4B98-BF58-931248ED7743_zpsaahv8tu2.jpg

C4325369-5A42-4C7E-9E37-59C30314E3FA_zps8ypwt5bi.jpg

Please accept this as my entry although i shouldn't even enter it.

Nice 1 1/2lb boneless ribeye. I seasoned with holy cow and smoked at 200 for 45mins till IT of 120. Then seared

Was a good steak. Need to work on my plating and camera skills

I knew this was gonna be a good one! All this looks amazing everyone!

I love how you tied the rosemary around the steak with the twine like that. That is not only pretty, but awesomely effective. Thank you, I'll be stealing this for sure.

Steal away! It really does make a difference. Not only does it add rosemary flavor as the steak cooks, but the main reason I tied the steak at all was to prevent it from flopping apart during the cooking process. It holds the rib cap tightly to the rib eye and makes the whole thing a bit more evenly dense so hopefully it cooks more evenly. And it's pretty too! Thanks!

Back