Advice needed on First overnight Packer

desertguy76

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I willl be doing my First Packer tonight. Not only will it be my first Packer it will also be my first overnight cook. I picked up a 17Lb one and plan on putting it on around 11pm tonight. I am not concerned about cooking time but I am concerned with if I need to get up a certain time to spray or wrap it. I was thinking possibly 7-8 hours until it needs to wrap but not sure. I will be cooking on a UDS with my new stoker.

Wrapping is not really necessary unless you are cooking at higher temps like over 275, because you can get some charring. Under that and it is purely optional.

Take this for what it is worth, but whether you are cooking in a UDS, on a pooper, on a kettle, in an insulated vertical or with a stick burner you should not IMO be sleeping through a cook (assuming I am reading your post right). Grease fires and other dangers are present in all cookers. Please be careful.

You should be fine. I recently smoked 18lb brisket and wrapped it after 14 hours.

I smoke briskets overnight all the time in my WSM and sleep like a baby with my bbq guru managing the temp for me.

Good luck and enjoy it! Post pics of the results too if you can...

In a UDS, you don't need to wrap. I do like to get up from time to time, check on things. End product will depend more on time in cooker than wrap or not.

I never mop, occasionally I might spray if I am feeling extra interactive.

Take this for what it is worth, but whether you are cooking in a UDS, on a pooper, on a kettle, in an insulated vertical or with a stick burner you should not IMO be sleeping through a cook (assuming I am reading your post right). Grease fires and other dangers are present in all cookers. Please be careful.
Good point! Sometimes we forget the basics. I don't do over night cooks anymore but when I did I never could really sleep thru the entire cook thinking about what could happen. I was up every 2-3 hours even if just to peek out the window to make sure the back yard wasn't on fire.

Do you have a Maverick or other probe thermometer, something with an alarm? I know that would ease my mind alot.

Do you have a Maverick or other probe thermometer, something with an alarm? I know that would ease my mind alot.

+1

Have to have a maverick or similar set to alarm when temps are too low or too high...can't sleep without temp probes.

I've only done one overnight packer cook and even with a maverick monitoring things I slept for chit. I wasn't worried about a fire, just about the damn thing drying out on me because I didn't have plans to wrap it at 160 ish. Which it did a bit.
Personally I'd rather get up really early and start it and nap as needed.

Sleep tight! :becky:

Back