First Butts on the new WSM

Prestige World Wide

Reaction score
I picked up 2 ~8 lb pork butts the other day to break in my new WSM that the good folks here recommend I get.
IMG_1958.jpg
Here it is next to the Summit after a spring scrub down. This is going to be a great combo.

Pork butts were $1.20/lb, tough to beat that. Trimmed and rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon.
IMG_1962.jpg

On to the WSM at 0630.
IMG_1963.jpg

This smoker is great. The iGrill2 is awesome for monitoring the temps of the smoker and the butts.

It ran hot, as I have read from other users on their first WSM cook. I was shooting for 250 but it stayed at about 290 for a while. By the end of the cook it was down to about 260. I ran the water pan dry and didn't wrap the butts. I used just a few chunks of hickory.

Butts came off at 1530, wrapped in foil and into the cooler for about an hour and a half.

These things were like butter. I had to be so careful pulling them off the smoker. I might always cook my butts at a higher temp. I really like the fact that the cook was only 9 hours.

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Overall I was thrilled with this cook. The flavor was awesome and the WSM was a joy to use. And the wife loved it, so that means a lot more cooking. Of course I shared some with our neighbors as well.

Thanks for looking and all the advice. I am not going to miss my electric smoker.

New guy here, any ideas on why my portrait view iPhone photos won't rotate?

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 156
Looks great man. I love my WSM as well. Glad to see you went with the big one too.
What was the flavor of the Secret Weapon like? I'm considering trying out a couple of the Oakridge rubs.
Oh yeah, 250 is overrated anyhow :shock:

Great choice :thumb:

Is this your first smoker?

I had a Bradley Electric smoker for the last 5 years. I learned a lot about smoking while using it, but man was I missing out after 1 cook on the WSM.

The secret weapon rub is great. It really compliments the pork well.

I had a Bradley Electric smoker for the last 5 years. I learned a lot about smoking while using it, but man was I missing out after 1 cook on the WSM.

The secret weapon rub is great. It really compliments the pork well.

You chose one of the best. Great upgrade!

Butts are the best way to break in a smoker....nice bark!

FYI...my WSM runs hot too...but to get temp lower...I adjust top vent to half way.

Contrary to old beliefs....you don't need low and slow for good Que. But I use it for overnight cooks.

Nice job! You will get years of smoking pleasure out of it.

Great job on the butts! They look delicious!

Couldn't agree more with everyone else. The WSMs are great.

I see you have an Auber as well. I love mine and it controls the WSM with precision once you get it seasoned.

A tip I've learned with my auber on my WSMs. Light a few less coals than you need to get to your desired temp and let the auber light more coals to reach your desired temp. This will prevent the WSM from overshooting.

I used to put 30-40 lit briqs in the 22WSM to get to 275. Now I put 25-30 and let the auber do the work. It takes a few more minutes to get to temp but it's worth it. I've learned my lessons after waking up early in the morning with temps 50-75 degrees over my target because i lit too many coals.

Back