New Guy UDS Question

~Klinger~

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am newly registered to the forum, but was inspired to build my first UDS from it. A buddy of mine gave me a bare metal drum and I ordered a Big Poppa Smoker kit. Upon more research of the drum it appeared to have a silicone sealant in it. My first thought was burning off would be fine. I do not think I got the fire hot enough though and it mostly just melted. After further thought on it, I decided to just get a food grade barrel from a place down the road. It was used for lemon juice concentrate and had a thin coating inside. I was going to burn it today but the winds are high 20's so I had to wait. Since I had the afternoon I sanded out the inside of the drum before I burn it. I have been reading all the posts I can and I am a bit confused on a few points. Once I do the burn, some say wipe it out, wash it with comet and then coat with vegetable oil. Is this the correct order before doing any seasoning/cooking? I figure since I spent half a day with my head inside it, I should make sure I get it right. I am excited but don't want to get ahead of myself. Thanks for the input. I included pictures of the drum and welcome any feedback or thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_8976.JPG
    IMG_8976.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8981.JPG
    IMG_8981.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 71
I don't remember cleaning mine out with Comet, but I sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I think I just hosed mine out after the burn and wiped it down. Then seasoned with some peanut oil and cooked.

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Looks good. Welcome to the addiction! You can go ahead and put that kettle in the background up for sale. I don't use mine since I built my UDS. The UDS is very versatile and can be setup to grill and smoke.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've built 2. One was a stainless steel drum so no need to grind.
The other had the red liner and I had it sandblasted for $30.

I didn't wash either with any soap.
Like mrboy said...it wouldn't hurt anything if you did though.

I'd recommend just hosing it out or blowing it out to get any remnants of a liner or metal dust or anything you don't want to risk getting into the food or smoke. Then just spray or wipe it down and season it. I used just spray vegetable oil for mine.

Looks good. Welcome to the addiction! You can go ahead and put that kettle in the background up for sale. I don't use mine since I built my UDS. The UDS is very versatile and can be setup to grill and smoke.

Naaa!

I started with a kettle.
Then built a UDS.
I still have the kettle I started with AND 2 more AND an Onyx Oven AND a LBGE AND a monster gravity feed.

Still love my kettles.

But then....I'm a special kinda adict too. So there's that. :bow:

Thanks guys! I look forward to getting it fired up. My wife said I have to keep the kettle though. We got one of those pizza oven attachments and she and the kids love it.

I have a Weber E330, q120, 22.5 kettle and a UDS. Only use the q120 and my drum.
Wish I had the time to use them all!

Back